This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The problem was happening if you duplicate a translated product. The variations were then lost.

Solution: Issue was resolved since WooCommerce Multilingual 3.8 beta 2 and will be resolved in the stable release of WooCommerce Multilingual 3.8 as well

This topic contains 34 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by igorN-6 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: George Botsev.

Author Posts
April 7, 2016 at 7:25 pm #856237

Oliver

I am trying to:
saving variable woocommerce product translation

URL of (my) website where problem appears:
(demo site, not visible but can provide access if required as the problem is a backend/admin issue)

I expected to see:
keeping all the variations of a product

Instead, I got:
all variations are lost and saving prodcut translation again will set translated product to draft (as there are no translations)

Steps to duplicate the issue:

a) setup:
all plugins deactivated except
woocommerce : Version 2.3.13
WooCommerce Multilingual: Version 3.7.12
WPML Media: Version 2.1.20
WPML Multilingual CMS: Version 3.3.7
WPML String Translation: Version 2.3.7
WPML Translation Management: Version 2.1.6
WP: Version 4.4.2
Theme: Twenty Twelve

b) login to admin then go to
goto
hidden link
have a look at variations and just save/update

goto
hidden link
(de version of same product)
have a look at variations and just save/update/publish

after saving , have a look at variations == all gone.
if i were to save now, it will put it into draft as no variations are available

if i go woocommerce multilingual (farbe/colour tab) and synchronise attributes the "de" variations re-appear, but are gone again, the next time i do the above

please advise. i'm happy to give you admin access et all

April 7, 2016 at 7:26 pm #856238

Oliver

PS: i also read a number of support topics regarding this issue, but none seem to apply/help

April 8, 2016 at 1:33 pm #856834

Thomas

Hello and thank you for contacting WPML support!

I see one server issue:

### PHP version too low ###

Please increase PHP Version to 5.6.* and MySQL to 5.6.*

These values are also helpful:

.htaccess
php_value allow_url_fopen On

or

PHP.ini

allow_url_fopen = „On“

You may contact your hosting provider to make changes.

See more info about our minimum requirements here:

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

### Debugging WPML ###

Please follow the debugging information provided here:

https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Repeat these steps:

1.) Set up debugging
2.) Deactivate all plugins
3.) Choose standard theme "2016" from WordPress
4.) Re-activate WPML plugins (latest version)
5.) See if problem persists

Copy and paste the contents of error_log.txt here

For further information or if you have any questions related to this ticket please do not hesitate to contact us.

April 8, 2016 at 2:30 pm #856920

Oliver

updated as requested - makes no difference

April 11, 2016 at 11:20 am #858050

Thomas

Ok, thanks. Can you please follow the Debugging steps and share insights?

Thank you.

April 11, 2016 at 11:56 am #858092

Oliver

there's nothing to share as there are no errors thrown and the debug log is empty

furthermore, unless i am missing something, turning on debug according to your instructions would generate a debug.log , not an "error_log.txt" (correct me if i should be looking elsewhere for the error_log.txt)

April 11, 2016 at 12:45 pm #858171

Thomas

I see.

Debug.log is correct, yes. Are there any results in this file? If so, please share.

Thanks.

April 11, 2016 at 12:48 pm #858177

Oliver

>Are there any results in this file?
no

April 11, 2016 at 1:22 pm #858221

Thomas

Ok.

### Temporary access ###

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

### Backup First! ###

WPML recommends a plugin called "Duplicator" (http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/). That will allow you to create a copy of your site and your content.

:: Duplicator instructions
hidden link

April 12, 2016 at 8:31 am #858907

Thomas

I was translating one of your products and it worked as expected even when I re-edited it and re-visited this section.

I can't reproduce the issue.

If I am wrong, can you provide screencast or screenshots?

April 12, 2016 at 12:20 pm #859203

Oliver

you cannot reproduce it , because you did not do what I mentioned in the topic when I first created it.

So, to reproduce, simply do the following.

- got hidden link
and synchronise, just to be sure we are starting with synchronised variations
- go to hidden link and have a look at the variations. you can see there are a coiuple (screenshot 1)
- switch to the german version of the product : hidden link
- clicking on "variations" there shows the variations. so far so good
- now just "update" that german version by clicking on "update"
- after it has updated/saved click on "variations" again and you'll see that they have disappeared (screenshot 2)
- if i were to save that trnslation again, it will even just put that translation into draft as there are no variations

sure, it says "The recommended way to translate WooCommerce products is using the WooCommerce Multilingual products translation page." but that is not always an option for all details that one might need to edit for a translation of a variable product

April 12, 2016 at 12:58 pm #859247

Thomas

### 2nd Tier Support ###

I forwarded your issue to our 2nd tier support team. Someone will contact you soon.

April 14, 2016 at 12:53 pm #861207

Oliver

just wondered, any news ?

April 14, 2016 at 2:52 pm #861341

George Botsev
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Sofia (GMT+03:00)

Hello Oliver,
I am George from second tier support.
I was just browsing and testing the issue that you reported.
At this time, it seems that I can reproduce the issue only on your site.
Would you mind to test with a new product with variations if you could reproduce the issue?
I made some tests on my local machine with versions 4.4.2 and 4.5 of WordPress, and I can confirm that this issue is not present in a clean install and I am unable to reproduce it there.

My theory is that this issue is related to your product-variations not having the correct assignments in the database.
That is why I asked you to test with a new product with variations. Make sure that even the attributes are newly created too.
I suspect that you might not be able to reproduce the issue with a new product - because the variations would have the correct assignments in the database.
Also, just FYI. It is not a good practice to edit the translated product in such a way - but you know this.

April 14, 2016 at 3:58 pm #861435

Oliver

Hi George,

i tried a few different things and the following seem to be the case (only checked variable products, but i don't think there's an issue with simple products anyway)

a) creating new product , new attributes and variations (what you were suggesting) works

b) creating a new product using already existing attributes and variations, works too

c) deleting the translations of an existing product and redoing them (duplicating and then translating independently again - needs a couple of saving cycles i believe though) makes the translations also work again

option c seems to be the least destructive/time intensive option, but I would still have to re-translate all 2 "slave" languages for all variable products.

can you see any way around that at all ?

PS: regarding "It is not a good practice to edit the translated product in such a way"
the user (my client) of the site has learned to do it the "non-recommended" way, because these "recommended" options did not exists when the site was done a couple of years or so ago. There is also always a possibility that the "recommended" way will not suffice for what needs to be edited...Alas, that's just by the by , and if one can get the variations working again then that's not an issue anyway