This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 11.49 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
June 6, 2019 at 11:40 am #3968817

andrewM-36

I am trying to: Translate and display menus. One menu's name is a brand word and needs to be the same in all languages. But translated menus seem to need unique names.

I try this edit (first uploaded image). I get this error (2nd image).

I can't see the navigation menu titles in string translation anywhere. Is this a bug, or a limitation?

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Hidden behind logins currently.

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

June 6, 2019 at 3:20 pm #3970353

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

This is a WordPress limitation and there can't be 2 menus with the same name.

Please take a look at this ticket below?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/conflicts-menu-name-i-cant-create-menus-with-same-name-in-different-languages/

I hope that you will find that information helpful.

Please let me know if you still have questions regarding this topic.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

June 6, 2019 at 4:09 pm #3970791

andrewM-36

Thanks. As a last resort I can hard code the titles into the theme as strings, but is there a way of exposing the menu title field to WPML's string translation?

June 7, 2019 at 9:12 pm #3979109

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

I just tested this myself, too, on a clean install and I can confirm that it is not possible to have 2 menus with the same name, even if we have WPML enabled or disabled.

Regarding your question, the menu name is something internal, it's never displayed in the frontend; the theme has "locations" and WPML takes care of giving back the correct menu for that location in that language.

The name doesn't matter, menus should never be displayed by name, but displayed in "theme_location" instead.

I hope that you will find this information helpful. 🙂

I am not sure I fully understand what you are planning to accomplish or why do you need to have the same name for 2 menus.

Please let me know if you still have questions regarding this topic.

Just a note that I won't be working on the weekend so I will be able to get back to you at the beginning of next week.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei