This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:WordPress site backend broken after WPML update

Solution:Upgrading from an older version of WPML , removing installer plugin resolved this issue

Relevant Documentation:

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jacobT-2 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 1, 2019 at 7:11 pm #3719493

jacobT-2

I have been updating the WPML plugin from an old (2013) version for a site, and after removing the old plugin, uploading the new version of WPML and activating it, the backend of the site is down. It returns the following error:

Catchable fatal error: Argument 1 passed to WPML_Dependencies::set_expected_versions() must be an array, null given, called in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage23/oa/si/st/oasistransformation.com/public_html/oasiscoffins/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml-shared/wpml-lib-dependencies/src/dependencies/class-wpml-dependencies.php on line 163 and defined in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage23/oa/si/st/oasistransformation.com/public_html/oasiscoffins/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/vendor/wpml-shared/wpml-lib-dependencies/src/dependencies/class-wpml-dependencies.php on line 182

This error is found at the following url: hidden link

How should I go about resolving this, at least to get the backend accessible again?

May 1, 2019 at 9:29 pm #3719989

jacobT-2

I have tried installing various versions of the WPML plugin dating from 2013 to the present, and recently the error message has been:
Fatal error: Call to a member function add_filter() on a non-object in /websites/123reg/LinuxPackage23/oa/si/st/oasistransformation.com/public_html/oasiscoffins/wordpress/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 113

May 1, 2019 at 11:12 pm #3720131

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

to quickly gain access to your backend you can manually disable WPML from your FTP wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms and add ".deactivate" at the end of the file name.

do you happen to remember your previous working version of WPML ?

additionally what version are you running for PHP , MySQL and WordPress ? and what is your current WP MEMORY LIMIT . ?

May 2, 2019 at 12:46 am #3720227

jacobT-2

I updated to the current version of WordPress (5.1) prior to this issue, and I'm running php 5.3 (I can easily switch up to php 5.6); Php's memory_limit is 128M; I couldn't find any specific WP memory limit in the wp-config file. As for MySQL, it says: "MySQL client version: 5.1.73". My previous version of WPML was version 2.7.1 (March 5, 2013).
Yes, I knew about the enabling the dashboard backend by plugin disabling via ftp and I've been using that.

May 2, 2019 at 5:57 pm #3727949

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for updating me , if possible please upgrade your PHPversion to 5.6 + and your MySQL Version to 5.6 + as well

also increase your WP memory limit to 256M or higher

=> https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Let me know your results after all the above steps have been taken .

Note : your WPML version is quite older but updating the above should help as the newer versions have many new features.

if the issue continues please share the error log with me

You can see how to enable debug logging here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

This will create an error_log.txt file in your site's root directory. Please send me its contents.

May 2, 2019 at 7:05 pm #3728525

jacobT-2

Thanks for getting back to me. I updated PHP version to 5.6, and increased the WP memory limit to 256M in the wp_config file (I couldn't increase the MySQL version yet). I enabled debugging and I'm sending the contents of the debugging log below:

May 2, 2019 at 7:18 pm #3728627

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,
thank you for sharing the error log , if possible please let me know your results with the higher version of MySQL , also please remove the installer plugin if its still installed as it is no longer needed

May 2, 2019 at 7:29 pm #3728723

jacobT-2

It may well be 24hours before I can get a higher version of MySQL, since my web hosting is UK-based and their live chat hours are passed. I put in a support ticket and will be checking back with them.

What is the installer plugin? I'm not sure i understand.

May 3, 2019 at 7:11 am #3731393

Bobby
Supporter

If you look at your active plugins , do you see a plugin called "Installer" ? if yes please deactivate it.

additionally if possible i would like to take a closer look and test on a local environment to make sure the WPML database tables have been updated correctly

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you,
Bobby

May 6, 2019 at 7:43 pm #3752403

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

i am glad to hear that this main issue has been resolved by removing the installer plugin.

Unfortunately the access details did not work for me to gain access to your wp-admin but i was able to review the error log within your wp-content area through the FTP

regarding the error log , note that these 2 are the main repeating errors along with some notices but only 1 of all the errors seems to be related to WPML only due to a query made for the following table wp_uam_accessgroup_to_object

are you by any chance aware which plugin is adding this table in the database ? what are your results with that specific plugin deactivated ?

[06-May-2019 00:30:28 UTC] WordPress database error Unknown column 'from_date' in 'field list' for query SELECT object_id AS id, object_type AS objectType, from_date AS fromDate, to_date AS toDate
FROM wp_uam_accessgroup_to_object
WHERE group_id = '_none-role_'
AND group_type = 'role'
AND object_id != ''
AND (general_object_type = '_term_' OR object_type = '_term_') AND (from_date IS NULL OR from_date <= '2019-05-06 00:30:28') AND (to_date IS NULL OR to_date >= '2019-05-06 00:30:28') made by require('wp-blog-header.php'), wp, WP->main, WP->query_posts, WP_Query->query, WP_Query->get_posts, WP_Tax_Query->get_sql, WP_Tax_Query->get_sql_clauses, WP_Tax_Query->get_sql_for_query, WP_Tax_Query->get_sql_for_clause, WP_Tax_Query->clean_query, WP_Tax_Query->transform_query, WP_Term_Query->query, WP_Term_Query->get_terms, apply_filters('get_terms_args'), WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, SitePress->get_terms_args_filter, WPML_Term_Query_Filter->get_terms_args_filter, WPML_Term_Query_Filter->adjust_taxonomies_terms_slugs, WPML_Term_Query_Filter->guess_term, get_term_by, get_terms, WP_Term_Query->query, WP_Term_Query->get_terms, apply_filters('get_terms_args'), WP_Hook->apply_filters, call_user_func_array, UserAccessManager\Controller\Frontend\TermController->getTermArguments, UserAccessManager\Access\AccessHandler->getExcludedTerms, UserAccessManager\Access\AccessHandler->getExcludedObjects, UserAccessManager\UserGroup\AbstractUserGroup->getAssignedObjectsByType, UserAccessManager\ObjectMembership\TermMembershipHandler->getFullObjects, UserAccessManager\ObjectMembership\ObjectMembershipWithMapHandler->getFullObjectsByMap, UserAccessManager\ObjectMembership\ObjectMembershipHandler->getSimpleAssignedObjects, UserAccessManager\UserGroup\AbstractUserGroup->getAssignedObjects, UserAccessManager\Database\Database->getResults

May 6, 2019 at 9:25 pm #3752789

jacobT-2

Sorry about the wp-admin login credentials - I can send you the corrected ones but this time I don't have options for submitting such details privately. I have contacted the client about removing the UAM plugin to resolve those problems, and for now I have deactivated it. The updated debug log should have those issues removed now I imagine.
It seems like at this point it's no longer WPML that is causing the bugs, so I can close this ticket Thanks for your help.