This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 4, 2019 at 11:55 pm

daveK-6

I'm having issues with WordPress wp-admin going extremely slow when WPML is enabled on a multisite install. My host is Flywheel and my memory is 256M

July 5, 2019 at 8:43 am #4149253

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

I have accessed into the dashboard and browsed through various sections, I am not sure I see anything being terribly slow:
hidden link

However, can you tell me what is the speed issue here? Because you have almost 30 active plugins (many of which are heavy towards database, such as LearnDash, The Events Calendar, WooCommerce) and many of them are loading most of their settings directly from the dashboard, while on the front end the site is loading quite fast.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 10:47 am #4150421

daveK-6

Some areas take 6 seconds to load (as you've showed on your video) but others will take over 10 + ... Its painful. When I disable WPML plugins, the site speeds up significantly. Is there anything we can do to improve?

July 5, 2019 at 11:19 am #4150713

daveK-6

My apologies. I've disabled all plugins except for WPML and the site appears to load much quicker so I don't believe WPML is exclusively the issue.

July 5, 2019 at 12:08 pm #4151209

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

One thing to try would be:
WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> How to translate strings in themes and plugins? -> Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins

Other than that, there will be major improvements when it comes to WPML speed and we are currently performing various tests on escalated cases. These improvements are to be expected in the next few months, especially when it comes to string translation.

Since this is a multisite, we could use your site as as a test case, but we would need duplicator packages and we will perform various performance testing and take all of that into account during further development.
https://wpml.org/2019/06/wpml-4-2-7-and-a-preview-for-next-major-updates/

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 5, 2019 at 1:28 pm #4151683

daveK-6

I'll give the "Don't use strings" a shot. If I do that, should I also remove all of the strings captured under "String Translation"?

Good to hear about improvements in the next few months. Unfortunately I don't think we can be a test case due to client requirements.

July 8, 2019 at 6:27 am #4159291

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

If I do that, should I also remove all of the strings captured under "String Translation"?

You could remove these strings, but not all because if you translated some of the pages that are created using various page builders, you would remove those translations as well. But these usually have different domain names, such as page-builder-x and similar. Also, in the string translation table I see that there are only about 4000 strings, I'm not sure if there would be any performance gain in the backend of the site.

Regards,
Bruno Kos