This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
August 27, 2019 at 1:17 pm

gregoirel-6

I am trying to: Activate String Translation module

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Back EN Wp Admin

I expected to see: normal back end

Instead, I got: messed up back end, all menu labels scrambled and back end unusable

August 28, 2019 at 8:52 am #4472531

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I just installed and activated the String Translation module. The backend (wp-admin) looks absoultely normal for me (see image).

Is this still a problem?

August 28, 2019 at 10:10 am #4473049

gregoirel-6

Hello Yvette,

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, I see it has been activated but I still get the same result, see photo attached.

Have you done that in the version online or on your copy?

This is weird that you get a different result.

Thanks for your help understanding this.

Yann

August 28, 2019 at 10:54 am #4473683

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

This was on your live site - it seems the problem only happens when you use the FR language. All the "translations" of the menu strings indeed seem to be off kilter. If you set your profile language to be EN - it is working correctly.

Have you done any string translaitons yet? I would think not but still want to be sure.
I woud like to reinstall the module

Please let me know.

August 29, 2019 at 1:42 pm #4481439

gregoirel-6

Hello,
Ok, we need to perform some tests and try to reproduce normal behaviour.
We'll get back to you.
Please do not close the ticket yet.
We have to wait for the developper to come back.
Many thanks.
Yann

August 29, 2019 at 2:39 pm #4481799

gregoirel-6

Hello,

Yes we have managed to reproduce normal labels behaviour by switching to english. Our client is an international company so they could deal with this.

To answer your question, yes things have certainly been translated with String Translations before, but as we took over recently, nothing is 100% sure.

I'm making a backup of the site so if you want to reinstall WPML to end resolving the issue, please do so.

Thanks for your help.

Yann

August 30, 2019 at 8:33 am #4485287

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Can you please check now to see if the FR dashboard appears as expected?

Thanks

August 30, 2019 at 9:19 am #4485671

gregoirel-6

Hello,

sorry but it still is the same result, of course I emptied the caches etc.

Thanks in advance.

Yann

September 2, 2019 at 8:41 am #4495335

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I´ve gone through most of the strings that are appearing incorrectly and corrected them by deleting the corresponding string from the String Tranlsaiton table and letting the system re-scan the string.

The problem is that there are just so many of them. I am not sure how this occurred.

Here is what I would recommend as a course of action.

1. Please take a database backup of the system in the state is currently in which is somewhat useable.

2. Then I propose to do the following:
- drop the icl_strings and icl_strings_translation tables
- recreate the tables
- rescan plugins and themes.

HOWEVER, this action will also take away any translations you have completed of admin-texts or endpoints..etc. I am reticent to do this but I don´t see any other way to clean up the situation.

The only other alternative I can think of is to go through each text domain of plugins/themes in the String Translation table and delete all strings page-by-page. The biggest text domain problem is the "default" domain with 6000+ strings.

You can do a test and spend the time to go through the 60+ pages of strings, select all strings in each page, and then delete the selected strings.

I found that it seemed to resolve the majority of the issues on the duplicator package I installed on a local install.

I wait for your comments.

September 5, 2019 at 11:04 am #4518619

gregoirel-6

Our planning does not allow us to complete this (probably long) task in the next days but we'll follow your indications. If any problem comes up, we'll set another ticket. Thanks for your engagement regarding this issue and the corrections that helped a lot.

September 5, 2019 at 1:51 pm #4519735

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

OK - we will close this ticket then.
If you open a new ticket - please make reference to this one so that the next supporter will know what we had done previously.