This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
December 11, 2016 at 12:56 pm #1156909

Bryan

I am trying to:

copy about 30 english and japanese post from one site to another:

I have installed
wp export all
wp all import and
wpml import all

on both ends:

Unbelievable amount of trouble and frustration due to almost non existent instructions for what should be the most simple of tasks.

Can you please provide some instructions on the options to use.

https://wpml.org/2016/08/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-and-wpml/
implies CSV only... this seems fairly primitive, are xml files really not supported ?

This lack of a good way to import and export translations is a source of huge frustration to me right now. for an otherwise sophisticated product this lack of ability to simply export and import data from 2 languages leave me bewildered.

the process is so badly broken it is much faster to simply import a raw xml export from wordpress and then manual connect each post.

December 12, 2016 at 9:29 am #1157320

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

For exporting products with WP ALL Import, please use the following documentation, https://wpml.org/2016/08/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-and-wpml/

For Importing Products with WP all Import, please use the following documentation,
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Does this help?

Thanks

December 12, 2016 at 10:34 am #1157446

Bryan

Hello

that is actually the pages I was using. my questions were specific.

Is only CSV import supported ?

I suspect my problem is that the page titles are numbers ..ie years.

e.g.

etc

December 12, 2016 at 11:00 am #1157502

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

.xml files should also work properly when a specific field is added as a connector. Regarding the issue, would you mind sending me those CSV files you are using so I can test if anything is wrong?

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

This info is private and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

We'd like to request the permission to disable, enable and install themes and plugins for this site. Please accept this?

December 13, 2016 at 7:34 am #1158499

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

I am confused can I make changes at the staging site as I will need to export and import the CSV files for testing? I look forward to your reply.

There should be no posts at al on Target - <em><u>hidden link</u></em>

I look forward to your reply.

December 13, 2016 at 7:41 am #1158506

Bryan

Hello yes.. you can do anything at all(within the law) to

hidden link

its just a snapshot of the not yet live site !

bryan

December 13, 2016 at 8:08 am #1158543

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Could you please provide me files of the import file too, so i can try importing. I have enabled the private reply so you can send me those files.

December 14, 2016 at 5:22 am #1159547

Bryan

not sure why this was marked resolved

December 14, 2016 at 7:27 am #1159608

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

Could you please send me those CSV files as it seems you have sent me whole wp-content folder at the folder. I only need to CSV file that you are trying to import which is failing.

Thanks

December 18, 2016 at 6:17 am #1162956

Bryan

I am confused..

I asked if xml file were supported, I was told yes...
I supplied access to both source and target machines
now you are asking for csv files... but have not even provided a way to upload them here.

hidden link

I spend a lot of time to make things clear in the support request so please take the time to read it.

December 19, 2016 at 11:52 am #1163561

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hi there,

I tested the files on my server and it seems to be working fine as translation are saved properly. I tested this using the XML file. So could you please try again to import the posts again with taking care of the following things and let me know if it helps:
1) Use WPMLTranslationID field as unique ID
2) While Importing the second language post please make sure to choose the parent xml file.
3) Set the Unique Id correctly on secondary page translation.

Note: you mentioned that your page titles are number but they are actually ID of the page which is not needed to be imported, as while importing WP all import created post ID accordingly.

Let me know if it helps.

Thanks