Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Trying to activate WPML Translation Management I receive this error: Couldn't download (install/activate?) because WordPress could not write to plugins folder. Solution: Try a manual installation. - Remove the WPML Translation Management folder from /wp-content/plugins/ (if applicable) - Download a copy of the WPML Translation management plugin from here: https://wpml.org/download/wpml-translation-management/ - Manually upload and install the plugin from Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin. Relevant Documentation: http://wpml.org/faq/install-wpml/

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by francoisL-13 3 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Vincenzo.

Author Posts
January 9, 2017 at 11:25 pm #1177977

francoisL-13

I am trying to: activate WPML Translation management

URL of (my) website where problem appears: groupevectis.com

I expected to see: activation complete/successful

Instead, I got:
An error message saying : « Le téléchargement n'est pas possible parce que WordPress ne peut écrire dans le dossier des modules d'extension »

Steps to duplicate the issue: trying to activate creates the same error message every time.

NOTE : all permissions are set to 775 on my server for the /... content folder

January 9, 2017 at 11:57 pm #1177992

francoisL-13

Translation of French bits and pieces above :
« Le téléchargement n'est pas possible parce que WordPress ne peut écrire dans le dossier des modules d'extension » EQUATES TO “Couldn't download (install/activate?) because WordPress could not write to plugins folder.”

January 10, 2017 at 10:27 am #1178322

Vincenzo
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello, thank you for contacting WPML Support!
I will take care of your ticket.

1. Can you describe me the detailed steps to reproduce the error?

2. Can you please check the security plugin settings?
- Maybe there are some restrictions there.

3. Can you please check if the server disk space is full?

4. Please try a manual installation.
- Remove the WPML Translation Management folder from /wp-content/plugins/ (if applicable)
- Download a copy of the WPML Translation management plugin from here: https://wpml.org/download/wpml-translation-management/
- Manually upload and install the plugin from Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin.

Thank you

January 10, 2017 at 3:47 pm #1178715

francoisL-13

Hi Vincenzo. Thx for your help. Here are the answers to your questions and how I solved the issue. I'm leaving a detailed trace here for others to see if of service at all.

1. Can you describe me the detailed steps to reproduce the error?
• I added all three modules from within WP using the Add extension command. I had previously downloaded the most recent versions from WPML site. I installed the main component 1st (v3.6.2), activated it and registered my site, then installed and activated String Translation (v2.5.1), then installed Translation Management (v2.2.6). But this latter extension will not allow activation with the message shown above (cannot write to folder).

2. Can you please check the security plugin settings?
- Maybe there are some restrictions there.
• I checked around within WorldFence and AntiSpamBee (the 2 security-related extensions installed on my WP installation)... Couldn't find any options that might specifically block that last extension activation.

3. Can you please check if the server disk space is full?
• No, lots and lots and lots of gigs available 🙂

4. Please try a manual installation.
- Remove the WPML Translation Management folder from /wp-content/plugins/ (if applicable)
- Download a copy of the WPML Translation management plugin from here: https://wpml.org/download/wpml-translation-management/
- Manually upload and install the plugin from Plugins -> Add New -> Upload Plugin.
• I just tried again—even though that is what I had done yesterday am— Well, I'll be damned!
Only thing I did differently is that I did not activate the extension from the blue button as presented just after installation. I rather went to the extension list and then click the activate link instead (see image attached). A hunch... Could that be the issue ? Because the file and the process are exactly the same as yesterday am. I'm a stumped.

Anyways. Working now. Maybe just a clean reinstall was what was needed to clear the code around. Mystery...
Thx.