Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 2 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
July 15, 2019 at 9:40 am #4209291

julianZ-4

I am trying to: access my site, but it loads very slowly alltough it's on a dedicated managed server with the fastest hardware you can buy.

See loading times here: hidden link
The server admins optimized the mysql database now and made some other tweaks, which made it better. But still, there's something wrong with wp_icl_string_pages

The table wp_icl_string_pages is more than 500MB big and has over 5 million entries, alltough I did *Recreate ST DB cache tables* just yesterday. My serveradmin tells me that wp_icl_string_pages reads/writes all the time.

I'm on the newest WPML version. What can I do?

July 15, 2019 at 5:02 pm #4213667

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Please install the following plugin which will indicate the page generation time and more information in the top admin bar.

hidden link

In case you will still experience a unexpected page generation time and warnings in regards to duplicated or slow querries that are based on WPML Plugins, we would kindly like to ask you to provide a new Duplicator package.

The package we received seems to seperate the site content and the database and we can not migrate the site in this manner.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Duplicator is free of use for backups up to 500MB and the package includes any content, themes, plugins and the database. As your site seems to exceed this limit there is a workaround.

In the first step of the Duplicator package creation process you are able to set filters for folders that will be excluded from the package building process.

You can simply add the filters for cache and uploads and it should bring your backup package to a minimal size.

More information here:
hidden link

In case of any issues please let me know. I can offer to create a package with Duplicator PRO in case you provide access to the site.

I have enabled the private box for your next reply. Please also add here a list of your plugins and theme for our developers who will revise your site and apply fixes into the upcoming version of CMS Multilingual and String Translation.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 18, 2019 at 6:54 am #4235479

julianZ-4

Thank you for your reply

I've installed this plugin, it says that nothing is wrong (at the moment!) with WPML. The size of the table wp_icl_string_pages is now 962MB. It almost doubled in size since I've started this topic. That can not be normal, or is it?

I'm pretty sure I just have to wait a few days and then it will show up as a slow query.

Do you still need a duplicator package to check it out?

July 18, 2019 at 5:03 pm #4241301

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Can you please try the following:

1. Backup your site and DB
2. Access to your DB and run this SQL query:

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;

3. Go to WPML > String Translation and exclude all the domains from Auto-Register Strings

Let me know if this solved the DB issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 19, 2019 at 7:47 am #4244715

julianZ-4

Hi Andreas

Thank you.

I tried that - let's see what happens during the next days. Can you please make sure that this topic does not get closed automatically?

Best regards

Julian

July 19, 2019 at 2:27 pm #4246983

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Can you confirm that the size of the database decreased?

This ticket should stay open for at least one to two weeks until we receive a reply or the ticket will close automatically.

Starting tomorrow I will be out of office for two weeks but your ticket should get distributed to another agent while I am not available.

In doubt please feel free to open a new tickets for any given issues.

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 22, 2019 at 11:53 am #4256845

julianZ-4

The table wp_icl_string_pages is now expanding a little bit slower, but still more than 300MB in just three days.

I read something about an update concerning the string translation - could my problem have something to do with that?

July 25, 2019 at 8:56 am #4281083

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

Andreas is not available today, so I'll continue to handle this ticket. I hope that it is alright with you.

In upcoming versions of WPML and String Translation, we are going to change the way strings are handled. Our developers are working on this. But I'm still not sure what causes the problem on your site.

You wrote: "I read something about an update concerning the string translation - could my problem have something to do with that?"
Could you please send me the link to what you read?

To continue debugging this, please try to see if the issue persists in a minimal environment because the problem might come from the theme or a plugin that you are using. Minimum environment means switching to a default WordPress theme like TwentyNineteen and no plugins activated except WPML.
Is it possible for you to try it?
You will need first to check if the problem persists when just the theme is switched to TwentyNineteen (for example). If it persists then deactivate all plugins except the WPML and its add-on. Then please check if the problem persists. If it does not persist, so start by activating the plugins one by one and check when the problem comes back, then report to me which was the culprit plugin.

**** Important! Please make a full site backup (files and DB) before you proceed with those steps****

*** If your site is a live site you might want first to try those procedures in a staging environment or a snapshot of your site on your local server or another server. ***

Thanks,
Itamar.

August 1, 2019 at 7:57 am #4319465

julianZ-4

Hi Itamar

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I can't test it with activating/deactivating plugins, because the database size grows only after days. I made the temporary fix last time I wrote, not the table size is again bigger than 1GB.

What do you suggest?

August 1, 2019 at 12:03 pm #4321361

Itamar
Supporter

Please see the above private reply.

August 1, 2019 at 1:28 pm #4322321

julianZ-4

Hi Itamar

It's copiing the site. Should be finished in 20-30 minutes.

Best regards

Julian

August 1, 2019 at 5:03 pm #4324329

Itamar
Supporter

Thanks a lot for migrating your site to our server.

I'll keep monitoring the wp_icl_string_pages and return to you here.

Thank you for your patience.
Itamar.

August 2, 2019 at 6:16 am #4327127

julianZ-4

Hi Itamar

It took longer than I thought to migrate.

When I try to access the cloned site, it says that it has technical difficulties..

Best regards

Julian

August 4, 2019 at 3:54 pm #4336691

Itamar
Supporter

Hi, Julian.

I can see that the wp_icl_string_pages table has grown over the weekend. Please see the screenshots.
August 1st: hidden link
August 4th: hidden link
Indeed the site seems to be broken.
I'm currently consulting our second-tier supporters on this issue.
When I have an answer from them, I'll get back to you here.

Thank you for your patience.
Itamar.

August 5, 2019 at 10:56 am #4339977

Itamar
Supporter

Hi.

I've discussed this issue that you are having on your site with our third-tier supporter, and he tells me that in the next release of WPML and String Translation we are going to dismantle the logic that adds entries to icl_string_pages and icl_string URLs. And that will fix the issue. Until this release is available, then you can use the following option in the troubleshooting section.
1. Take a backup of the DB of your site, in case something goes wrong.
2. Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting (link).
3. Press the 'Recreate ST DB cache tables' button and wait for the process to finish.
This will clear the icl_string_pages table.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this issue.

Thanks,
Itamar.