Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.5 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Slow Queries related to String translation

Solution:
- Update to WPML version 4.3.x
- Execute the below mysql queries

TRUNCATE TABLE wp_icl_string_pages;
TRUNCATE TABLE  wp_icl_string_urls;

- Optimize ST table form WPML > Settings > Troubleshooting. > "Cleanup and Optimize string tables"

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dragos 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
October 16, 2019 at 6:01 am #4762221

Dragos

I was trying to backup my WordPress and while trying to make a backup, I found out that my DB has 22gb, at further investigation I've discovered this table: wp_icl_string_pages that has 22gb. How can I clean it? I tried optimising it from PhpMyAdmin and my server crashed.

I have the latest updates on your plugins, just the WordPress is not updated and I can't do it because I can't backup my db.

Can you help me?

October 16, 2019 at 7:43 am #4762977

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello there,

I will help you with the issue.

Before you begin backup your site and database

- Update WPML and the addon plugins to the latest version 4.2.9, from Plugins > Add New > Commercial
- Once All the WPML plugins are updated execute the below query in your database

TRUNCATE TABLE wp_icl_string_pages;
TRUNCATE TABLE  wp_icl_string_urls;

This will free up the table space. Let me know if that helps.

Kind regards
Raja

October 16, 2019 at 7:55 am #4763087

Dragos

It worked, my issue is resolved. Thank you!

October 16, 2019 at 12:22 pm #4765657

Dragos

Hi again,

After I cleaned the table I saw that it keeps getting bigger again. After about 5 hours from 2kb the table has now 40mb.

What can I do to stop this?

Thx

October 16, 2019 at 1:19 pm #4766039

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Thanks for raising the concerns and reopening the issue.

The table will save cache data for string strings so it is expected grow. It is a concern when it affects the page load time.
Goto WPML > Support > Troubleshooting, Click on the option
[x] Clear the cache with WPML
[x] Recreate ST db table cache

Check if that helps.

We have improved the string translation handling in the latest beta version of WPML https://wpml.org/2019/08/wpml-4-3-beta-1-with-much-faster-string-translation/

Consider upgrading to the latest beta by following the instructions in the below link
https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-install-beta-and-development-versions-of-wpml/

Some of the client have noticed the increase in performance Installing the 4.3.0 beta version

Let me know if that helps.

Kind regards
Raja

October 16, 2019 at 1:25 pm #4766083

Dragos

The table is clear again now. I will check in the following days to see how it goes.