This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by vorakarnw 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 24, 2019 at 2:57 pm #4632555

vorakarnw

wp_icl_string_translations make my site slow (121,777 Row)

I have to deactivate this plug-in to use the site.

Please help

September 24, 2019 at 11:56 pm #4634479

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

Please enable String Translation and go to WPML > String Translation and exclude all the domains from Auto-Register Strings. You find this option right under the strings box. If all domains are excluded WPML will avoid adding strings to String Translation automatically.

https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#auto-register-strings-for-translation

Now, access to your DB and run this SQL query:

DELETE FROM wp_icl_string_translations WHERE status = 0;

This will delete all strings that are not translated so far.

Take note that we are working on major updates for all our plugins and that those updates are dedicated to a new way for Sring Translation when it comes to handling strings. This method will minimize the size of databases and enhance the site performance significantly.

We are currently in the Beta testing phase and a final release date is not available yet. The Beta is available at https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Let me know if you do have any questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 25, 2019 at 1:13 am #4634641

vorakarnw

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

September 25, 2019 at 2:11 am #4634727

vorakarnw

The database is obviously smaller but I still have slow speed on my site.

please see attached file for ssh screen short.

September 25, 2019 at 5:53 pm #4641589

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Please follow the settings and advises in the following documentation in order to prevent performance issues with WPML:

https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

How is the page generation time when using as an example the following Chrome Plugin?

hidden link

Now, does the page load time change singificantly when using the site with WPML plugins only? On the other hand, how is the page load time, if WPML and its add-ons are deactivated?

Also, take note that our next WPML major updates are dedicated to solving performance issues and will enhance the site speed while minimizing the database sizes. We are currently in the Beta testing phase and the latest version is available on our "Beta" ChanneL here:

https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Further, I did not receive any detailed information about the site. Could you please provide the debug information? The reply is set to private.
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards
Andreas

September 26, 2019 at 1:45 pm #4647305

vorakarnw

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your support.

Following your optimize document I have done the following
- Automatic adjustment of IDs for multilingual functionality (done)
- Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation only (don’t load .mo files) (done)
- Deactivate tracking of strings (Done)
- Deactivate tracking of strings (Not) as previous recommend
- PHP, MySyl and Memory is ok.

Testing using load chrome page load time extension by refreshing "dashboard page"
With plug in :
1 - 18.6
2 - 11.1
3 - 9.85
With out
1 - 5.04
2 - 7.62
3 - 6.55

The number base on dashboard page only. some other page could be slower.

Lastly I has notice the my data base in WP_icl_string_pages go so big now.

Please kindly advise.

PS. Raja has migration of my site you can try over there also.

Best regards,
Boyd

September 26, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4647811

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

For security reasons I sadly do not have access to the credentials provided on tickets that are not assigned to myself. I kindly like to ask you to provide access again for debugging the site.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

September 27, 2019 at 9:09 pm #4656781

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Sadly it was not possible to create a Duplicator Package from your website.

I have sent you further information inside of a private message in order to migrate your website to our test server for further investigation.

Please leave me a short notification once the migration is completed.

Kind regards
Andreas

September 28, 2019 at 9:09 am #4658115

vorakarnw

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your support.

I have finished migration to cloudways.

Please kindly check if everything ok.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Boyd

September 30, 2019 at 2:46 pm #4665613

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the delay in answering.

The site has not been migrated. Could you please verify again?

Kind regards
Andreas

October 3, 2019 at 3:24 am #4684315

vorakarnw

Hi Andreas,

I try migrating again and I think it finished now.

I also change my administration password. let me know if you need it.

Best regards,
Boyd

October 3, 2019 at 8:32 am #4685787

vorakarnw

Hi Andreas,

I have attached the screenshort showing database growing and another image showing slow load time testing by Moz.

Please help

Best regards,
Boyd

October 3, 2019 at 6:29 pm #4690781

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I was able to connect to the migrated website and for some reason, I had to complete the WPML Setup Wizard.

I then went to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting and clicked "Recreate ST DB Cache Tables"
This task deleted a huge amount of strings in the String Translation caches, including the *wp_icl_string_pages* table.

Then I went to String Translation -> Auto register strings for translation and made sure that all Strings from all text domains are excluded. There were still some domains adding strings automatically.

Then I ran the following queries on the database in order to delete untranslated strings from String Translation:

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;

DELETE FROM wp_icl_string_translations WHERE status = 0;

This deleted more than 80k of untranslated strings from the tables and means that all other strings are translated, partial translated, needing an update or are waiting for a translator.

More information about how to clean those string tables cn be found here:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-find-delete-waiting-for-translations-strings/#post-1244576

Next, when trying to access the homepage there is a 500 error that might be linked to a compatibility issue between theme/plugins. I disabled all plugins and run the site with WPML plugins only.

Using only CMS Multilingual, Translation Management, String Translation and Media Translation the Homepage loads in less than 2 seconds, which is in regards to the huge amount of languages used on the site an expected page generation time.
I measured this using the Google Chrome Page Load Time add-ons
hidden link

I then installed our latest Beta Plugins:

Here installing the new String Translation Plugin generated 525 .mo-files which will enhance the site performance and minimize the amount of string needed on String Translation.

The page generation time now using only WPML plugins was always around 1.0 - 1.5 seconds on the homepage. Therefore I can not approve that there is an issue based on WPML.

I then reactivate the additional 24 plugins.

The page generation time stayed stable between 1.5 and a little less than 2.0 seconds.

If you wish you can access the website on the test server and migrate it back to your live site or apply the same steps as mentioned above to your live site.

Let me know of you do have further questions.

Kind regards
Andreas

October 3, 2019 at 6:36 pm #4690819

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Please take note that I left a private message with server access details and that page generation times between 1-4 seconds or average of 2 seconds can be expected for a website running multiple languages.

Kind regards
Andreas

October 4, 2019 at 4:01 am #4692705

vorakarnw

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for very much for your help

I have done everything following your instruction and I think now everything is going good.

I am very much appreciate your full support for a week and this is very helpful

Best regards,
Boyd