Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I am struggling with issues using custom block created by ACF in our multi-language site. When I modify page structure (change position of ACF block) in the source language, the pages other languages are messed up.

Solution: Instaling latest WPML update 4.3.14. everything seems to be working fine for client.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by camillaB-2 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
May 11, 2020 at 7:41 am #6101373

camillaB-2

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I am struggling with issues using custom block created by ACF in our multi-language site. When I modify page structure (change position of ACF block) in source language, the pages other languages are messed up. The content blocks have complex structure. When I change the position of a content block, only the content block title is not affected. the rest of the content block that differs in structure is not displayed.

Is there any documentation that you are following?
I found similar issue marked as resolved, but the solution does not work in my case:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/issue-syncing-english-and-french-pages/page/2/

Is there a similar example that we can see?
English version (original language)
hidden link
Dutch translation:
hidden link
The Dutch version data are still in the database, but it is not displayed on the website.

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

May 13, 2020 at 8:15 am #6119827

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hello,

if I understand correctly when you do the reorder the ACF block, only title is showing in the translated version, others are not? I assume you are using ACF Repeater fields?

We have a similar known issue.

Can you let me know are you using the Classic Translation Editor? Using the Advanced translation editor should help to fix the issue.

Can you please test with ATE and let me know if the issue same as in the next ticket:

Source: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/acf-repeater-field-reordering-issue/

Please let me know how it goes and doesn't hesitate to ask if you find any problem along the way.

Regards,
Drazen

May 14, 2020 at 8:44 am #6129615

camillaB-2

Hi,

The issue is not with the repeater only. It seems to me more generic:

I use Classic Translation Editor.

I have created several content blocks with different structure. Each content block has common only title, underline colour and background. The rest is different.
When I change order of the content block within in source language, the translated pages have messed up the content blocks. It seems to me, that the WPML tries to keep the same structure for translated pages as it is in the source language.
Since the source language page has changed order of content blocks, the translated pages cannot display its content blocks because the translated pages have different order of content blocks (they were not updated). See attached two screehsnots.
1 - source language - I added new content block "some new content block"
2 - translated page after I added the new content block

Is there a way to set the ACF + WPML so that the content blocks in translated pages remain untouched when I change the content blocks in source langauge? But I need to keep link between the language versions.

May 14, 2020 at 11:39 am #6131677

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello, thanks for sharing more info, I appreciated it.

-Is there a way to set the ACF + WPML so that the content blocks in translated pages remain untouched when I change the content blocks in source language?

> The Only way is to edit the original page and translation page manually. I have tested and you add new content in the original and translated page and it is not syncing. Please test on your side.

Info:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-different-translation-editors-for-different-pages/ (Be aware duplicate only for a new translation page)

-

We have currently known issue with ACF as the one mentioned in the provided ticket, which could be affecting other ACF fields.

To check and confirm the issue I created a clean sandbox and created 2 ACF blocks (Testimonial, Testimonial B), and yes if a new content block is added or order changed, it syncs it to the translated page. It syncs order to be the same and shows correct content.

But I could not replicate as in your example, to get it to mess up the frontend display.

Since I guess you are more knowledgeable in ACF then me, I would like to kindly ask you to try and replicate the issue on the sandbox so I can investigate it further and probably escalate the issue to our ACF developers.

Feel free to add new blocks, fields, pages.

Sandbox: hidden link

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks and regards,
Drazen

May 18, 2020 at 7:15 am #6155179

camillaB-2

Hi Drazen,

thank you for the answer. I think we use ACF in different way, than it is in sandbox. I imported our ACF to the sandbox. I could use it, but since we have custom templates rendering the ACF in the front, I did not see the page preview.
However, I created a page in the sandbox "test page with ACF" and translated it.
Then I changed the source language and added/edited content blocks. See the WPML editor for tranlation to Croatian. The content blocks do not match. The same way id does not match in the forntend.

May 19, 2020 at 9:21 am #6165653

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for sharing more info.

I have misunderstood you, I thought you are using ACF Blocks but you are using Flexible fields. The issue mentioned before with the repeater fields is also appearing with flexible fields, so this could be the case of your issues.

1) I can not replicate the issue as you described, I change content and reorder fields but then when updating translation it syncs correctly. Can you help me out and share video/ step by step instructions on how to replicate the issue on the sandbox and what should I keep my eye on? I am not really sure if I am doing it correctly.

Please check my video: hidden link

Please make a backup before proceeding.

2) On your live website try using Advanced translation editor and check. It is working fine for a similar issue.

Please follow each step and let me know.

Thank you,
Drazen

May 25, 2020 at 7:53 am #6207619

camillaB-2

My issue is resolved now. I installed the very latest WPML update 4.3.14. released last week and I could not replicate the issue. Thank you!