This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
March 5, 2018 at 11:35 pm #1536991

nadavR

Hi,

I have developed and still maintaining AICF.ORG , which is a bilingual English-Hebrew site. It is a site that is managed by both the AICF staff and over a thousand Israeli artists who upload their content (artist profiles and events) to the site.

We are closing in on our max storage limit on our hosting platform (Flywheel). While we can upgrade to a larger plan, just the mere fact that the site is currently at 18GB, things like backup & restore, staging environment, and overall PHP server load have become a burden on us.

Then we found the Offload S3 which is compatible with WPML. We currently have around 12,500 media items in the library so we purchased the Gold plan for $200. However, when we started the upload process, we saw that the number of items the plugin was trying to upload was double (about 25,000) and that is was trying to upload 34GB (!!!) of media files. This is of course physically impossible as our plan is limited to 20GB.

We canceled the upload job and turned to the Offload S3 plugin developers, who said that the way WPML handles the translated media as their own media items and not as meta info on the original media item. I am personally not sure how things work on WPML, but the plugin is advertised as be compatible with WPML, which means there was at least some synchronization between the teams of Offload S3 and WPML. I am also seeing some older tickets on your support forum related to Offload where you provide assistance.

The issues this is causing for my client are:

1. We would have to upgrade our Offload S3 plan, otherwise it is going to stop offloading after 20,000 items. Reminding: we have 12,500 media items. The Offload S3 plan allows up to 20,000. With your bug, we have 25,000, which is above the plan's limit.
2. The *redundant* 17GB of media files are going to inflate our storage usage on Amazon, meaning, my client will have to pay more for those files, that are never going to be used.

Please advise what's the best way to proceed, thanks!

Nadav

March 6, 2018 at 10:46 pm #1538350

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

The way WPML works is that it does not duplicate the media file when the media is translated, it simply adds an additional entry into the database for the translation. That being said, I'm not familiar with Offload and the settings and how it works, so I'll need to dig in a bit to figure out what is going on. Can you please confirm that you are using the Offload WPML add-on, because I don't see it in the list of plugins in your debug information. hidden link

From what I understand, this add-on needs to be installed in order for everything to run correctly.

March 7, 2018 at 1:31 am #1538443

nadavR

Hi Lauren,

Yes, I'm using the Offload S3 Plugin from Delicious Brains, the same one you sent me a link to its WPML integration page. You probably didn't see it in the debug info cause it was deactivated at the time - since there's no point in keeping it activated after finding out it doesn't work properly. Can you open a new debug input box for me? I'll reactivate it and send you the new debug info.

Thanks,
Nadav

March 7, 2018 at 1:46 pm #1539162

Lauren
Supporter

I am not able to send a new debug info field, but you can edit your original post and paste the correct debug information there.

It seems that this is a compatibility issue with the Offload S3 plugin, and there has not been an update to their plugin since July of 2017. Have you tried the upload without the Offload S3 WPML add on?

What happens if you try the upload with WPML deactivated?

Please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

March 8, 2018 at 10:26 pm #1541248

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending access to the staging site. I started the upload and can see the large amount of images it is trying to upload. I have escalated this ticket to our 2nd Tier support so they can take a deeper look. I will report back here as soon as I have more information.

March 13, 2018 at 3:43 pm #1544947

nadavR

Thank you. I'd just like to mention that the 60-day money back guarantee of Offload S3 that I purchased will expire on April 11th. Please let me know if you expect this issue to be resolved before or after that date. I understand things might take time to troubleshoot on your end, just please keep me posted frequently on progress and on estimated resolution times. I've had a bad experience with an issue with Toolset where I was told everything was getting resolved soon, but the ticket took six months to resolve. By now it's a complaint I am already communicating directly with On The Go Systems about. I'd like to avoid it this time and reach a resolution in a reasonable time.

Thanks,
Nadav

March 13, 2018 at 8:07 pm #1545231

Lauren
Supporter

Just wanted to send an update that this has been further escalated to the Compatibility team. Our developers are contacting the Offload plugin author so they can work together to find a permanent resolution.

In the meantime, is it possible for us to have FTP access? This way our developers can try to create a workaround that may resolve the issue faster. However, they will need access to edit the files in order to do this. I have marked the next reply as private so that you can share credentials privately.

March 13, 2018 at 8:16 pm #1545245

nadavR

It actually goes the other way around with flywheel. Give me your email address and I'll add you as a collaborator on the site. That will give you access to FTP of both the live and staging sites - so be careful to only make changes on staging.

March 13, 2018 at 8:36 pm #1545258

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for the quick response. Please add access for ankit.g@onthegosystems.com.

March 13, 2018 at 10:36 pm #1545337

nadavR

Invite sent. Instructions on how to login to Flywheel's FTP are here:
hidden link

Again, changes should only be made to files within /aicf-staging.

Thanks!

March 14, 2018 at 5:35 pm #1546096

Lauren
Supporter

Thanks for sending us access. Our 2nd Tier developers are looking into this now, and as soon as I have more information I will update here.

March 22, 2018 at 6:28 pm #1554308

Lauren
Supporter

Here is what our developers found after looking into this.

1) Images are duplicated, but they point to the same URL. This means that even if the count is incorrect, the duplicated image will overwrite the original and no more space will be occupied in the S3 bucket. It's not ideal because it will consume double bandwidth but it should work. (warning: not tested, because we do not have a pro account on the install that we were testing on)

3) Next version of WPML media plugin will no longer duplicate. It will use the "display-as-translated" method and fallback to the original attachment if there is no translation. This will also fix the problem.

The conclusion is that it might be best if at all possible to wait until our next release. I don't have an exact date for that, but it should be in the near future. If waiting for the release is not an option, I'd like to see if it's possible for you to run the upload anyway. The count will show incorrect, but the result should be ok. I understand that could be risky dye to the limitations. Please let me know if this works for you.

March 23, 2018 at 5:43 pm #1555339

nadavR

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your answer. I relayed your response to the Offload S3 team and they said that they actually never got contacted by you (see your reply #1545231). However, they replied saying that they would like to get in touch with you in order to help each other out. What (relevant dev team member) contact information should I give them?

Thanks,
Nadav

March 23, 2018 at 8:19 pm #1555417

Lauren
Supporter

The best way for them to get in touch with the compatibility team is to sign up for our Go Global program. Please share this link and they can fill in their contact info, and our Compatibility Team will get in touch and start the process of full compatibility. Thanks for reaching out to them. It may be that our team was trying to get in touch with the wrong contact info.

https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

April 2, 2018 at 2:02 pm #1562328

nadavR

Hi Lauren, why is this case marked as resolved? Any ETA for the next version with the fix for this issue?

Thanks,
Nadav