Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 36 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by alexanderA 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
October 4, 2019 at 2:43 pm #4696571

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

The slug is generated automatically by WordPress, based on the page title. So if the title of the translated page is the same as the original, it will keep the same slug.

Please check this video with a quick test: hidden link

Kind regards,
Diego

October 5, 2019 at 4:47 am #4699717

alexanderA

Maybe I am not making myself clear--sorry about that. Let me try to re-explain.

Let's say I create a new EN page with the title of 'Pagey' and slug of 'testy' (screenshots on EN fields: hidden link). If I use WPML-->Translation Management to duplicate that page into FR, a new FR page is created with the exact same title and slug (screenshots of FR fields: hidden link). To be clear, the newly duplicated FR page has the exact same slug as the original EN page.

In light of that, is there any way to duplicate my EN Elementor page into FR, and have the slug of the newly duplicated FR page automatically set to the same slug as the EN page?

* If yes, how do I do that?
* If no, after duplication, is it possible to *manually* set the FR slug to the EN slug?

Thanks.

October 7, 2019 at 8:44 pm #4710749

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hello, feedback below:

In light of that, is there any way to duplicate my EN Elementor page into FR, and have the slug of the newly duplicated FR page automatically set to the same slug as the EN page? * If yes, how do I do that?
The slug of the translated page will be generate based on it's base title. If you keep the same title of the original page, the slug will be the same. Let me show you a example:
Original page title (english): My Slug
Original slug (english): my-slug

If you modify the page title on the translated page, it will modify the slug:
Translated page title (portuguese): Meu Slug
Translated slug (portuguese): /pt/meu-slug

But if you keep the same page title:
Translated page title (portuguese): My Slug
Translated slug (portuguese): /pt/my-slug

If no, after duplication, is it possible to *manually* set the FR slug to the EN slug?
Yes, with the following steps:
- Go to the edit screen of the page (original language).
- Change the FR language using the Language switcher at the top admin bar
- If it display a warning, click on "Edit Anyway"
- Modify the slug of the translated page
- Save

Kind regards,
Diego

October 8, 2019 at 3:44 am #4712267
alexanderA

OK I understand all that. The reason I brought it up was the earlier I thought I was seeing behavior that was not consistent with that. But I just checked again, and it seems as if I can duplicate without issue now. Thanks for your patience on that.

At this point, my page is duplicate as desired, and I require no more duplication of Elementor pages. But when I open this page and try to make some edits, WPML displays a message:

>> Warning: You are trying to edit a translation using the standard WordPress editor but your site is configured to use the WPML Translation Editor.

(see attached screenshot) I realize as part of this exercise I configured this particular page to use the "WPML Translation Editor." But I have no clue what that means, how it will affect things, whether I can disable that, etc. I enabled it only because I was told to do so by support, in order to resolve this particular issue. After I duplicate my Elementor page into my desired languages, can I disable the "WPML Translation Editor?" If so, how exactly? Do I disable it on the same page on which I enabled it?

Thanks.

New threads created by Diego Pereira and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-wpml-cannot-duplicate-page-created-with-elementor-page-builder/

October 8, 2019 at 7:45 pm #4717917

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

As the previous issue has already been resolved, I will open a new ticket for this new one.

I will reply in the new ticket.

Regards,
Diego

October 11, 2019 at 5:53 am #4735727

alexanderA

I personally feel as if my latest question was part of the cleanup tasks related to this issue. But I see you've already created a new ticket, which is unfortunate.

October 11, 2019 at 5:55 am #4735731

alexanderA

My issue is resolved now.