This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 week, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
August 6, 2019 at 5:21 pm #4349715

emmaH-4

Hello,

I've opened a ticket about this issue twice already, and it was never resolved because your system closes tickets before this behaviour reproduces and I can get the relevant files together for you. Here's the original ticket, as well as the follow-up ticket I've been most recently communicating via:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-configuration-resets-spontaneously/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-configuration-resets-spontaneously-2/

@Yvette had the most helpful advice for troubleshooting this issue, and I hope she's available to continue helping me.

As @Yvette requested, I have managed to take snapshots of the `wp_options` table before the issue occurred (site was operating properly) and after the issue occurred (configuration got reset, and before I went through the process of fixing it). I also downloaded the highly verbose debug log recorded during that time. I uploaded a zip file of those three files here: hidden link

I believe the site was still behaving correctly (i.e., the configuration reset hadn't happened yet) as of July 31, and possibly as recently as August 2, but I can't confirm because I didn't hear from my client whether they noticed the WPML issue by then or not. I just remember visiting the site on July 31 and it looked fine to me. The log file has entries as old as July 16, so you can probably skip ahead at least to July 31 in those entries before trying to locate relevant log entries. It is a very large log file so I figured it's important you know how to zero into the relevant part of it!

I hope this helps. The issue is continuing to be a real drag, and I'm concerned my client is questioning my reputation as their site developer/maintainer when it resets like this all on its own, so frequently, and there's nothing I can apparently do about it…

August 7, 2019 at 9:28 am #4353193

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi there.

Thanks for following my advice and providing the wp-options table entires. I took a look at the before/after and can see that the configuration settings are limited to String Tarnlsations and Trnaslation Management modules

What exactly are the steps you execute to "repair" the site when this happens?

I´ve forwarded the information to our 2nd tier group to see what they adivse as next steps

Thanks

August 7, 2019 at 5:35 pm #4357157

emmaH-4

I can describe what I do when I repair the site, by memory. When it happens again I can take screenshots to provide a more accurate description. But here goes:

- The WP Dashboard shows an alert at the top of the screen saying something to the tune of WPML not being configured. If I recall, WPML String Translation plugin provides an alert saying that that plugin is not useful until WPML is properly configured. I click the provided link in the alert to take me to the WPML configuration wizard.
- I believe the first screen of the wizard prompts me select the site language (English), and I proceed.
- The second screen lets me choose the other language(s) I want the site to support, and the only one I want it to support – French – is already checked. So it remembers that.
- The next screen lets me do some rudimentary configuration, such as adding language switchers, what to do when a page is visited that the language doesn't support, etc. None of the options on this page are remembered from before the reset, so I have to go through each one and set it up as if it was the first time I've done it.
- The last screen asks me to input the license key, which is has remembered and already has filled in for me.
- After finishing the wizard, there are more settings I have to restore on the WPML > Languages screen, like a custom language switcher that I need, and for it to use subdirectory-style language URL format (rather than the ?lang= format).
- I then go to the WPML > Settings screen and scroll down to the Post Types Translation and Taxonomies Translation sections, the settings of which have all been forgotten and cause various parts of the site still to display improperly. The other section I think it forgets all settings for is the Custom Fields Translation section, which I've been just ignoring for now because it's less critical for the site to look right, but once this issue is resolved I hope to bring those settings back to their correct configuration for the last time.

I did make a full database snapshot after the issue had recurred (and before I fixed it) – would that be useful for you to have?

August 8, 2019 at 12:32 pm #4362873

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

Yes it would. I talked to our 2nd tier support and they asked me to get as much information as possible.

- So, please take a full database snapshot today (for example).
- Please purge your log file so that it´s not so big when it happens next. If possible, try purging it n ightly so that only the 24 hours of relevant messages are reoorded next time it happens
- Then take a full database snapshot just after the problem happens again.

From reviewing the wp-options table(s) that you provided, it is consistent with what you have described. The core settings remain intact (the "pre-filled" options) but anything related to String Translation and Translaiton Management are gone.

August 8, 2019 at 2:02 pm #4363641

emmaH-4

Okay, I'll set a daily reminder to do this… it means I have to check the site daily to see if the issue has occurred. No guarantees I can manage it every single day, but I'll do my best!

August 8, 2019 at 2:51 pm #4364031

Yvette
Supporter

Thank you very much. I truly hope we catch the bugger!

August 11, 2019 at 2:32 pm #4377047

emmaH-4

Just posting a reply to keep your robot from closing the thread.

August 12, 2019 at 11:39 am #4380395

Yvette
Supporter

OK! Good call.

August 19, 2019 at 11:28 am #4415549

emmaH-4

Pinging again to keep the thread open.

August 19, 2019 at 12:59 pm #4416237

Yvette
Supporter

Got it. Thanks

August 30, 2019 at 3:27 pm #4488169

emmaH-4

Issue still hasn't recurred, just posting again to keep the thread from being closed. Hopefully we catch the bugger soon…

August 30, 2019 at 5:02 pm #4488521

Yvette
Supporter

Maybe the magic is in keeping this ticket open......XD

August 30, 2019 at 5:08 pm #4488525

emmaH-4

Lol… now that would probably be the weirdest bug fix I've ever heard!

September 2, 2019 at 10:06 am #4496049

Yvette
Supporter

Hey - if it works.......I won´t be complaining. maybe this will be the start of a beautiful friendship....