This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Katy Fox 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 18, 2019 at 3:57 pm #4045059

Katy Fox

I am trying to: use the site normally

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Inside the admin, the error message "WPML could not load configuration files, which your site needs." with the button "Retry" and with the link "Detailed error log" is shown. Here are these details:
2019-06-17 22:48:319548 get_option app_error wpml_config_files_arr Missing data
2019-06-17 22:48:319482 index http_error wpml-config/config-index.json

code: 403
body:

I expected to see: no error message

Instead, I got: this error message

I have already pushed the "Retry" button without any success.

June 18, 2019 at 9:51 pm #4046673

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

if possible please update your MySQL Version to 5.6 or higher

additionally verify that the following IPs are whitelisted with your hosting provider and ask them to also update your openSSL

hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

also test deactivating/activating the WPML plugin and then clicking on RETRY again

let me know your results please

June 19, 2019 at 6:56 am #4048507

Katy Fox

Hello Bobby,
Thanks for your support! Unfortunately, it does not work yet.
These domains have been whitelisted, and the versions of the dependencies are up to date according to my Linux distro:
- MySQL: mariadb Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.38-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2
- OpenSSL: 1.1.1b 26 Feb 2019

June 19, 2019 at 6:12 pm #4053821

Bobby
Supporter

If possible i would like to take a closer look at the backend to further test this issue

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you,
Bobby

June 20, 2019 at 8:55 pm #4063041

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

thank you for the access details

please let me know your results now ., are you still seeing the message ?

from my side i am not but i also dont have full network admin access

June 20, 2019 at 10:20 pm #4063311

Katy Fox

The error message has disappeared. Thank you! How did you solve it?

June 21, 2019 at 6:43 pm #4068933

Katy Fox

Unfortunately, this error messages is back now!

June 21, 2019 at 8:00 pm #4069049

Bobby
Supporter

Being that the error in the error log is a 403 there is a possibility that your hosting is blocking external resources

if possible please verify with them that they are not blocking the connection from their side

The server might have outgoing requests blocked as the plugin is trying to reach hidden link but its failing.

Please if possible contact your host provider again and have them check the specific URL
hidden link

you could also test the following by going to wp-config.php

and add define( 'ICL_REMOTE_WPML_CONFIG_FILES_INDEX', 'hidden link' );
within your wp-config.php file to make sure that the plugin is not pulling an older URL as the IP on that address changes.

Then run "Retry " again , after adding the above code within wp-config.php and see if the notice has resolved , so you can wait to see if that resolved or if it will come back again and then contact the host provider.

if all else fails we can resolve this by manually adding the config files

July 6, 2019 at 11:36 am #4155747

Katy Fox

The domain name cdn.wpml.org was blocked. You have missed to include this in the exception list I had been asking for: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/which-exceptions-do-i-need-to-add-to-the-firewall-of-my-server/ Anyway, thank you very much for your help solving it! 🙂