This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Sarah 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
July 30, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Sarah

I am trying to: install WPML

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got: The site is experiencing technical difficulties. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.

I was unable to install the plug-in through wordpress so I did so through the Control Panel. Then WordPress locked me out of wp-admin and I got the above message. When I uninstalled the plugin I was able to get in again. My site is using the theme Expert Lawyer and the attached list of plugins.

July 30, 2019 at 6:26 pm #4310191

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

Are you installing/activating WPML for the first time on this site?

I have a request for tracking the issue. Please add the following code in wp-config.php file of your site to enable WordPress to debug mode. It will create a *debug.log* file in *wp-content* folder. Then activate WPML and check you are getting any errors or warnings related to WPML in the log file.

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

// Use dev versions of core JS and CSS files (only needed if you are modifying these core files)
define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

Please check following links to read more about debugging with WordPress.

https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/

https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/#example-wp-config-php-for-debugging

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 30, 2019 at 6:58 pm #4310231

Sarah

Hi, yes this is the first time that I have tried installing WPML on this site, although I use it successfully on other sites. The problem is that when I installed the program, WordPress locked me out, so I cannot activate the program in order to do the debug as you suggest.

July 30, 2019 at 7:08 pm #4310255

Sarah

I cannot even upload the zip file of WPML to the website
The file I am trying to upload is:
sitepress-multilingual-cms-4.2.7.1.zip

July 31, 2019 at 1:28 pm #4314737

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. You are getting *The link you followed has expired* warning because of the conflict with maximum upload size value, which could possibly be set to default 2MB and that’s not enough to upload WPML plugin and most of its addons.

So please increase that value(upload_max_filesize) to something like 20MB and also increase max_input_vars to at least 5000. Please check following documentation for more details. You can also contact your hosting provider to upgrade this configuration.

hidden link

hidden link

I am not able to access the FTP. It shows following warning. Please share the correct credentials.

Status:	Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error:	Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:	Could not connect to server

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 31, 2019 at 2:33 pm #4315379

Sarah

Thanks Bigul, I was able to adjust the config file and upload via Filezilla but then I got this error message when I tried to activate the plugin.
Any advice?
The FTP is non-TLS using port 21

July 31, 2019 at 6:03 pm #4317203

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I can access the FTP now. It looks like the WPML plugin is missing files and folders now. Please check the attached image.

So please upload the plugin files once again via FTP or upload it as a zip file manually via Plugins>>Add New page after upgrading the maximum upload size value. Then make sure you are getting the expected result or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

July 31, 2019 at 7:19 pm #4317357

Sarah

My issue is resolved now. I'm so grateful that you figured out the problem. Thank you very much!