This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 2:31 pm

alessioC-7

I am trying to:

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: english homepage doesn't work cause wpml create a folder /en conflicting wpml creating link.

I delete this folder in my file manager but afte 1/2 days wpml create the folder again.
Other languages are ok.

I expected to see:english home page.

Instead, I got: error page.

How can I solve?

Thanks
Alessio

May 30, 2019 at 5:35 pm #3925461

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. It is really weird the creation of a physical directory on the server’s drive as WPML only creates virtual directories when using the language in directories url format. Please, let me know some more details:

1 - Is there any specific event that made it happens? For example a plugin update, third party plugin install.

2 - Is there any server specific setting you tried and then the directory creation began to happen?

4 - Does it happen if you temporary try another language url format from your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Languages settings?

Please, let me know, so we can understand this issue better. Have a nice day.

June 6, 2019 at 6:12 pm #3971435

alessioC-7

Hello,

the folder appears every 1-2 days in automatic. Nothing event or action happens is is correlate.

I can't understand why it happens.

Thanks

June 6, 2019 at 8:09 pm #3971911

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. In this case a further look in your filesystem and error logs is needed in order to understand the cause of your issue. For that, I kindly ask you some FTP access details, I will enable a private reply, so you can safely send it. Thank you for your collaboration, have a nice day.

June 7, 2019 at 3:26 pm
June 7, 2019 at 8:03 pm #3978905

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the provided details. Can you please, tell me if the additional directory is created in the root folder of your WordPress installation? This I see so far I believe could contribute for this issue:

1 - You have a bunch of plugins adding extra rules for your .htaccess file.

2 - You have a bunch of extra files and directories not common for a standard WordPress insallation. See: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Files

I recommend you to try a stagging copy of your website in your host, this way you can run several tests, such as:

1 - Create a new standard .htaccess file and see if the issue keeps happening. See: https://wordpress.org/support/article/using-permalinks/#creating-and-editing-htaccess

2 - Keep all the plugins disabled and make sure only WPML related plugins are activated.

Please, let me know if it helps. Have a nice day.