This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: When used a domain per language, the top bar is not displayed in the secondary language.

Solution: They are two domains and so are two different cookies. For this reason, a domain appears logged in and another does not.

Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not have a workaround for this. This is on our list of requested features, but we do not have a deadline of when or if this will be added in WPML.

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Luigi 3 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
June 22, 2016 at 12:50 pm #924441

claudeD-2

I am trying to: see the admin bar in the other language in a multiple domain name setup

URL of (my) website where problem appears: tourismesutton.ca

I expected to see: the admin bar

Instead, I got: nothing

Steps to duplicate the issue: have different domains per language

I know this has been discussed in the past and that it was dismissed as being a normal feature of WordPress. But with new tools this problem is becoming more cumbersome and cannot be dismissed by saying that everything can be done from the original language or from the backend.
I'm using Pagelines Platform 5 and this tool allow us to do a lot of frontend editing on the different pages of the websites. But to access these tools I necessarily have to switch it on from the admin bar. I also have access to several other tools related to that page in the admin bar. It is a trend I'm seeing more and more. Without the admin bar I cannot edit several features from the second-language page. The only work around is to switch WPML to work from different folders temporarily.
So I'm wondering if you could devote energy to correct this WordPress "feature" and make WPML work as expected.
Sincerely,

June 22, 2016 at 9:07 pm #925429

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thanks for contacting us.

This seems to be a bug. This has been escalated to our developers.

This should be fixed in the next release of WPML, but I do not have a deadline for when this will be fixed.

Thank you.

June 22, 2016 at 9:10 pm #925431

claudeD-2

Just to add that this has been reported many times in the past and that the answer has always been that it is a security issue with WordPress. I'm sure that you can create a work around. Here are a few previous messages:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/we-changed-the-url-for-translation-sites-to-a-subdomain-but-the-admin-bar-isnt/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/admin-bar-links-disappear-on-translated-domain/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-different-domains-per-language-how-to-display-admin-bar/

June 23, 2016 at 12:23 pm #926603

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You're right. It does not work that way.

This is not a bug. They are two domains and so are two different cookies. For this reason, a domain appears logged in and another does not.

Unfortunately, at the moment, we do not have a workaround for this. This is on our list of requested features, but we do not have a deadline of when or if this will be added in WPML.

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please let me know if I can help in any other question you may have.

Thank you.

July 8, 2016 at 12:12 am #948302

claudeD-2

Thank you

October 22, 2018 at 2:50 pm #2838524

Luigi

Hello,

I wonder why this thread is marked as resolved since it wasn't.

It's about 3 years since we have this problem. Do you have any solution for us at this point?

Thanks