Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I expected to see the right side column translated to English. Instead, I got the texts are still in Finnish. Also on other pages there's still Finnish, when there should be English.

Solution: Go to Dashboard → WPML → Theme and plugins localization and uncheck the Assume that the original language of all strings is English option. The strings will work fine this time.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 13, 2019 at 11:52 am

Nico Härkönen

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: for example: hidden link

I expected to see: the right side column translated to English

Instead, I got: the texts are still in Finnish. Also on other pages there's still Finnish, when there should be English.

We made a copy of the site with this problem, because we had to restore the backup from original site, because the translations weren't working. So in the original site everything's good, but the version is from August. This test site (the link upper) has the problem we need to solve asap. Thanks!

September 16, 2019 at 4:17 am #4576257

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hey Nico,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I had a look at the link that you attached but I couldn't see the right column (I attached a screenshot with the page). Is there any chance that you could attach a screenshot with the element you'd like to translation, please? This way I can understand exactly what's the part that you'd like to translate and I'll point you to the right fix.

Thanks,
Radu

September 19, 2019 at 5:22 am #4601345

Nico Härkönen

Hello,

Okay you have to have something to buy in your cart, like this (in the picture). Also the links to categories (footer menu for now, we already fixed main menu to change category name in Finnish so it would work) are directing to 404-pages, so the category doesn't work in English.

September 20, 2019 at 7:45 pm #4614333

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

Can you have a look at the cart page now, please? The strings should be in English now.

Thanks,
Radu

September 23, 2019 at 7:03 am #4620847

Nico Härkönen

Hello,

Did you translate them manually? Because the strings were in English, but suddenly the translation just stopped working and those went back to Finnish, so we need to be sure that won't happen again? There's still Finnish on the same cart-page (picture).

This is only test site, so is it possible to have all these done to live site? Do you need to do those translations, or should WPML start working so we don't need to ask here? Also, for some reason the English URLs from menus to products doesn't work, for example this should take us to Gravestones product site, but instead it takes us to 404-page: hidden link

We had to change the category name (tuote-osasto) to finnish, so it would work: hidden link

What's the thing about here?

September 23, 2019 at 8:06 pm #4626477

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

Please go to Dashboard → WPML → Theme and plugins localization and uncheck the Assume that the original language of all strings is English option. This is the change that I made on the staging website, in order to make the strings work fine. Please try to do the same change on the live site and tell me how the strings work this time.

Thanks,
Radu

September 24, 2019 at 7:52 am #4628713

Nico Härkönen

Hello,

Thank you very much, with this step some of the translations worked. Still there's Finnish language on the same page, you can see those in the picture (I sent this on the previous message too), so why the translation doesn't work on those texts? They worked earlier, and suddenly just didn't.

Can you please answer me also to my other question about menus and URLs?

September 26, 2019 at 12:24 pm #4646773

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

I checked this a bit closer and here's what I found:

• for the shipping zone, I just tried to add a new one, just for a test, and I could see that its title appeared for translation in WPML → String Translation automatically. Now, could you create again the shipping options and try to translate through the String translation area, please?
  • the payment text can be easily translated from here: hidden link. Please add a translation, mark the Translation is complete box, and tell me how things work this time.

Thanks,
Radu

October 3, 2019 at 6:06 am #4684779

Nico Härkönen

Hello,

Thank you! We will try to fix these with your instructions.

But still there's a problem with the URLs which don't work on the menu: for some reason the English URLs from menus to products doesn't work, for example this should take us to Gravestones product site, but instead it takes us to 404-page: hidden link

We had to change the category name (tuote-osasto) to finnish, so it would work: hidden link

What's the thing about here?

October 6, 2019 at 6:37 pm #4703123

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

Can you tell me if you are using tuote-osasto for something else, or if you have any rewrite rules added to your website, please? I checked this out on the staging site.

Can you update all the WPML plugins to the latest version and tell me if you still have this issue, please? Also, is this still happening if you deactivate all the plugins except for WPML (and it's add-ons) and main WooCommerce plugin, and activate a default theme (like Twenty Nineteen)? I want to make sure that this is not an issue caused by some compatibility issue with one of the plugins (or theme) you're using.

Thanks,
Radu

October 7, 2019 at 6:38 am #4704551

Nico Härkönen

Hi,

There is no separate page for /category/ or /tuote-osasto/, but I'm not sure what you meant. There's only two rewrite rules on Finnish site (picture).

I updated plugins, deactivated all others but WPML and its add-ons and WooCommerce, changed the theme to Twenty Nineteen, but as you can see I can't check if the translates or menu navigation works, because of the change of theme.

October 8, 2019 at 10:45 am #4714407

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

I just had another look at the Hautakivet category in Finnish language: hidden link and when I try to change the language to English, everything works fine: hidden link.

The Finnish category base is osasto-tuote and the English base is product-category, as set in Dashboard → WooCommerce → WooCommerce Multilingual → Store URLs area.

Can you check this out too, please? You can add the category to the menu too and see if things are keep working as expected.

Thanks,
Radu

October 15, 2019 at 10:08 am #4756093

Nico Härkönen

Hello,

Yes now I see that you can change that language and it works (same it does with the original site because the product-categroy name has been changed to Finnish even in the English site so it would work), but the problem was with the menu links, they didn't (and don't in the footer) direct correctly.

Also now I'm wondering, how's the product-category at the test site osasto-tuote in Finnish, as in original site it is tuote-osasto? It should be tuote-osasto.

October 15, 2019 at 12:47 pm #4757275

Nico Härkönen

Hi,

I also finally got the chance to try this:

for the shipping zone, I just tried to add a new one, just for a test, and I could see that its title appeared for translation in WPML → String Translation automatically. Now, could you create again the shipping options and try to translate through the String translation area, please?

And I made it at the same point as you, but when I translated it through String translation area, it didn't translate. The flag was also British flag even though the text was in Finnish, I think it should be Finnish and then it woul work?

October 16, 2019 at 1:19 pm #4766037

Radu
Supporter

Hey Nico,

Let's take care of each question at a time. I changed the slug of the product category to tuote-osasto. Can you check it out and tell me if this is working as expected now, please?

Regarding the shipping zone, I looked for the one you captured on the screenshot but I cannot see it. Can you tell me if you removed it, please? Or maybe you can tell me which one is from the list of shipping zones. I can see that Kuljetus kuuluu palvelupakettiin option is Service package includes the shipping in English, so the translation is working for one of the zones.

Thanks,
Radu