This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by burakK-2 1 year, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Otto.

Author Posts
July 26, 2018 at 12:21 pm #2584096

burakK-2

Hey there,

Simply I do not want to duplicate any image on my website. However, when I switch from English to Russian, I cannot see any images in the media file.

I cannot import any previously uploaded image.

Even when I disable the duplicate features, they stay same after I hit "apply"

July 26, 2018 at 1:26 pm #2584600

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

From WPML the old WPML Media features are in the core plugin.

So the images need to be duplicated and you are able to translate the meta information of the images.

Take into account that this does not duplicate the image files. It just an entry in the DB, it does not affect your site's size nor performance.

So, in order to have the images display in the secondary language, I suggest going to WPML > Settings > Translate Media and start the duplication.

Alternatively, you may try setting the Media post type to not translate or the fallback option:
WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation > Media (attachment) (click on the lock before)

Take into account that the recommended way is the first one (duplicate the images). This last setting brought up many compatibility issues so I do suggest you use the first one.

Kind regards,

Otto

July 26, 2018 at 1:33 pm #2584618

burakK-2

I think you got to change the word "duplicate" as it means making a fake copy of something and it may lead people to evaluate differently. I thought images were going to be copied several times (for each language).