This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
August 22, 2019 at 11:33 am #4438703

nielsM-11

Dear support,

It's probably because we don't have the sufficient knowledge, but currently it's not userfriendly at all to work with you plugin in combination with ACF.

There are a few items going wrong.

1) Changing default language is updating 'Site settings'.

We've set up our site in 3 languages and made the corresponding updates in the ACF's "Site settings" block. We had it as follows:

English: Default language
Dutch
French

As soon as we update the default language to 'Dutch', it's no longer taking the ACF site settings from the Dutch version, but these are replaced with the English ones? Really strange...

2) Unable to translate checkbox value

On the contact page there's one checkbox value still in Dutch (hidden link) -- For some reason we can't find where we need to translate it. When we use the 'Translations' we can find the Gravity forms with a status 'Complete', but nowhere in that translation module we can find that checkbox value?

3) Blocks and content is being deleted

On the homepage (hidden link) we have a block called 'Actualité'. When we would like to delete this block, all images from the masonry + the testimonials is deleted as well.

Sometimes we have a text button that is correct in Dutch, but for some reason we can't update it in French (we can type the text, but as soon as we click 'Save' it's deleted again).

We tried many things by using the different options "Don't translate", "Copy", "Copy once" or "Translate" -- but not of them seem to work? What exactly does every option?

Do we also have to update this on page level or on ACF level? When we have to do it on a page level, it's messy since it's showing all kinds of 'terms' etc... (see attached).

We just launched the website live, but unfortunately we have to tell our client that he can't do any updates/changes, since it might happen that some other content will disappear as a consequence...

Hopefully we can get a clear answer so that we can - for a last time - set it up correct so our client can start updating it as well 🙂

I can provide you with login details, but I'm not sure when I mention them here, that they will be visible for everyone on the world wide web...

Thanks,

Niels

August 22, 2019 at 12:33 pm #4439331

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Niels,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

Let take care of each point, one at a time. Can you tell me how did you create the Site Settings section, please? I checked the registered type from here hidden link but I couldn't find the site settings on this page. I just want to see how these part is created and check its settings.

Thanks,
Radu

August 22, 2019 at 1:14 pm #4439605

nielsM-11

Hi Radu,

This is also an ACF group and is created here:
hidden link

At the bottom of the list you'll see 'Site settings'.

Niels

August 26, 2019 at 10:58 am #4457853

Radu
Supporter

Hey Niels,

Can you tell me if you made any changes in the meantime, please? I'm asking for this because now when I check the Site Settings section, and change the language from the top admin bar (to Dutch, for example), I see a message that the field group is not available. This is why I'm asking about it.

I had a look at the contact form and I could see that you're using Gravity Forms with Advanced Custom Fields: Gravityforms Add-on. As I can see, this is a plugin that wasn't updated in a while (2 years), and is not a part of the WPML compatible themes list.
Can you try to translate a contact form by following the steps presented here https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/gravity-forms-multilingual/, add it directly to a page (not through ACF), and tell me if you still cannot translate all the texts, please?

Last but not least, I can see that the Actualité section from the homepage is created through some custom fields too. Have you tried to just remove that part from the fields group? I don't know exactly what's the structure of the homepage and what are the groups used into it but I suppose that the News articles section is the one that you'll need to remove, from Site content.

Thanks,
Radu

August 28, 2019 at 7:17 am #4471543

nielsM-11

Hi Radu,

Nothing's changes - but perhaps it's best if you could give me a help with item 3.
This probably has something to do with all the options "Translate", "Don't translate", "Copy" and "Copy once". What's the difference, and do we have to set this up under ACF itself or on 'page' level?

If you could explain to me the exact differences, I might be able to set this up correct for every ACF field.
Only question remaining afterwards: What happens if I did some updates on 'page-level' -- will these changes be overwritten or not? Can I somehow restore these back to default?

Thanks,

Niels

September 2, 2019 at 8:45 am #4495383

Radu
Supporter

Hey Niels,

Here is the description for each option when it comes to translation:

• Don’t translate – the field is not available for translation;
  • Copy – the value of the field is copied from the original language and kept in synchronization with it;
  • Copy once – the value of the field is copied from the original language but it can be changed later. After the first copy, it will not be kept in synchronization with the original language;
  • Translate – allows you to manually translate the field values.

Regarding the changes on the page-level, can you give me an example of a change that you'd like to do and where you expect them to be overwritten, please?
Are you asking if the changes are done to the other pages (that use the same custom fields) or not? I just want to make sure that I understand exactly what you're looking for.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] WPML in combination with ACF is becomming a nightmare…’ is closed to new replies.