This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
May 5, 2019 at 7:44 pm

mennoS-3

There is an error message that won't go away, even after I have completed the steps suggested:

WPML is missing some records in the languages tables and it cannot fully work until this issue is fixed. Please go to the Troubleshooting page and click on "Clear language information and repopulate languages" to fix this problem.

This warning will disappear once this issue is fixed.

May 5, 2019 at 7:54 pm #3743949

mennoS-3

Some additional info: this is a multisite setup. I have disabled WPML from the Network Dashboard for this country site as it broke the country site. When I activate WPML from the Network Dashboard flowbird.ca shows a 404 page?!

May 6, 2019 at 9:19 am #3746277

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

It is possible that the message got stuck in the wp_options table or elsewhere and will need to be removed manually. Therefore, In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username for the main site (network admin), along with database access so I could investigate the issue directly? Let me know if you are unable to provide database access (through cPanel or other means) - we will take another approach then.

I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 6, 2019 at 11:00 am #3747335

mennoS-3

Somehow my reply got public?! Please allow me to send you the cPanel details in a private message!

May 6, 2019 at 12:36 pm #3748349

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I have set your next reply as private again.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 6, 2019 at 1:54 pm
May 6, 2019 at 3:03 pm #3750249

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I can access the site now and the database! Just to confirm - database which I should be looking at is ... 62, correct?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 6, 2019 at 3:12 pm #3750305

mennoS-3

Yes, the one ending with a62

May 7, 2019 at 8:07 am #3755099

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I logged into the network admin and I can see that you have WPML Multilingual CMS Version 4.1.1. Can you update this (and any other WPML addons that might be used) before I resume debugging this?

Can you try activating it then to see if this will continue happening?

When I activate WPML from the Network Dashboard flowbird.ca shows a 404 page?!

If 404 still happens, can you try flushing permalinks for this site? Let's focus on this first, otherwise it will be difficult to resolve the "missing records" if WPML is not active for that site.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 11:08 am #3756749

mennoS-3

Hi Bruno,

When I try to register WPML via New plugin → Commercial tab, I get a console error (see attached). I have now updated WPML manually via FTP.

When I look at the WPML settings on the network, the site names are missing (see attached).

As soon as I enable WPML for site with ID = 18 (flowbird.ca) I get a 404 on flowbird.ca. Re-saving permalinks doesn't solve this (see attached).

May 7, 2019 at 12:05 pm #3757605

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

As soon as I enable WPML for site with ID = 18 (flowbird.ca) I get a 404 on flowbird.ca

May I ask how can I do this myself - how do you do this? I can see that WPML Multilingual CMS is Network Active and I see no option to activate/deactivate for flowbird.ca site (as on hidden link)

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 7, 2019 at 12:20 pm #3757639

mennoS-3

It's a Multisite setup so I should activate WPML on the network, correct?
The direct link is: hidden link

Flowbird.ca is the site above the last entry (site ID = 18).

May 7, 2019 at 3:50 pm #3760033

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

That worked and I did some thorough testing here. There are couple of things I've noticed - see images for those. Apart from the initial issue, there is also "There is a problem with the String Translation table in your site. This problem is not causing a problem running the site right now, but can become a critical issue in the future. WPML support team knows how to fix it. Please add a message in the relevant support thread and we'll fix it for you." known message, which happens when not all WPML tables created for some reason.

I am assuming that for this particular site, WPML did not create all the tables properly and that it would be hard to diagnose and fix properly all of them. It could be that multiple tables were not created or formed properly, not only those for which admin messages appear.

As for 404, the reason is the same as the initial query - since there are no records in the language table, WordPress does not know that there is a page, since WPML should "tell" WordPress that there is and in certain language. You can see that by the page count - 10 overall, but 0 in each language. When WPML is deactivated, WordPress doesn't take into accounts its language parameters that is why it all works properly (no 404). I've tried multiple troubleshooting options, but to no avail.

Can you tell me how far have you gone with this site and translations and how much work has been put into this? I think that the best (and easily the fastest) course here would be to reset WPML for this site and recreate its options and translations anew.

The 'Reset' action will deactivate the WPML plugin after it deletes the WPML tables (tables with the 'icl_' prefix) from the database. The action will NOT delete any content (posts, taxonomy terms etc.). It only affects translation and language information that WPML associates with each content type.

Please note that all translations you have sent to remote translation services will be lost if you reset WPML's data. They cannot be recovered later.

If you are using the Advanced Translation Editor, you will lose the translations that are in progress, as well as the existing translation memory and glossary. You will also lose access to purchases, invoices, and history related to your work with the Advanced Translation Editor.

Let me know what you think - make sure to backup the full network before proceeding with this, just in case.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

May 12, 2019 at 7:58 pm #3793787

mennoS-3

Thanks. If I perform the reset, will that reset just the Child site or all sites in our multisite setup?

May 13, 2019 at 7:37 am #3795709

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

That should reset only that site, but make sure to backup the MS in full.

Regards,
Bruno Kos