This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
June 3, 2019 at 6:54 am #3939617

jaakI

Tell us what you are trying to do?

1. Import with WP Import All from XML (products XML file from the vendor in the German language. Not other languages are provided) to GERMAN language as the first language.

2. Translate all imported products with ATE on the fly from one to several languages. The first import will be big (~5500 products) but updates are incremental.

3. Next restriction: For example translate product name and/or short description of your desired language but translate a long description of the English language. Question is that machine translation quality is satisfactory for short text like product names but for long texts especially for small languages like Estonian the machine translation looks weird. But then we translate from German to English it's OK.

4. On the front-end of the website, the German language should not be displayed at all.

June 3, 2019 at 2:51 pm #3943705

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. What exactly is the issue?

1. You can import products from German. From what you say I think it's a "standard" import and you don't need to use WPML All Import, right?

2. What do you mean "on the fly"? If you mean bulk machine translation it's not possible at the moment, you need to open each page product and translate it

3. You can choose which fields translate automatically and which ones have to be translated by humans. Unfortunately machine translation quality does not depend by us so there is no easy solution here.

4. You can hide languages in WPML -> Languages

June 4, 2019 at 6:48 am #3948501

jaakI

Hello,

Sorry if my workflow description was a little bit fuzzy. I want to achieve that then the import of the product data to the default language is finished, the needed translations should be done automatically according to the predefined rules (what languages, ...) and without human intervention. Is this possible?

1. To import products from XML to default language I need WP Import ALL Pro main plugin.
2. "On the fly" does mean that ATE machine translation functionality should be triggered automatically following predefined rules. EXAMPLE: Products were imported to German and translated without human interaction to the selected languages.
3. Sorry if my workflow description was unclear. My question is:
For example, I want to translate from German to the Estonian language. Could I set up that WPML will automatically translate product names to Estonian language but product description to the English language? This way I can reduce machine translation quality problems because machine translation quality from German to English is better compared with German to Estonian.
4. How can I hide the default language? In settings, I didn't find the place to hide the default language.

June 4, 2019 at 9:07 am #3949501

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

at the moment is not possible to do what you want, the translations need to be triggered manually. We should implement a "translate all" function but it won't be before WPML 4.3 and in any case, I don't think it will be possible to choose which fields translate automatically.
You might ask for this to be added in our feature request form: https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

I'm not sure if it's possible to achieve what you want with custom coding, but this is something we don't support. You might want to ask a contractor about this: https://wpml.org/contractors/

As for hiding languages, you can't hide the default language. You need to change the default language to another different from German, and then you can hide it.