This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by jariL-2 3 years, 12 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ankit.

Author Posts
October 6, 2015 at 3:07 pm #718943

jariL-2

Hello,

I'm using translation editor in translating. I have custom fields in posts which I want to be translated (names) or to be copied (phone numbers, images). I have set from "Custom fields translation" (in Translation management) to copy custom fields i want to copy, and translate fields i want to translate.

Problem is with copying. When i click + sign in Posts page, start translator editor and do translation everything else is OK, but fields I wanted to be copied aren't there (in the website) after saving Post.

If i first duplicate Posts-element in Translation Management / Dashboard then all the custom fields are copied. I don't want to do this manually for all my 200 Post elements. I expect that when I start creating new translation via Posts, custom fields will be automatically copied. I don't need to see them in WP admin, but user should see them in website.

Could you please help? 🙂

October 7, 2015 at 11:17 pm #720093

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

At the bottom of the post edit page, you have the box "Multilingual Content Setup". Please could you check if the "Copy" option is selected next to the desired custom fields? I will attach a picture for you to see.

If not, please select it and try again.

Please let me know if the problem persists after you follow this step.

Thank you.

October 10, 2015 at 5:06 pm #722101

jariL-2

Yes, i have selected "Copy" to fileds i want to be copied. But they are not copied. Sometimes it copies some of custom fields, but i can't say when this happends (could not find any pattern).

October 10, 2015 at 8:38 pm #722135

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Please let me know exactly what steps should I follow to see the problem.

Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

October 12, 2015 at 8:30 am #722503

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

My name is Mladen and since Bruno is away I will help you with this ticket, hope it's okay.

I saw that you were using Translation Editor, that setting can be changed under WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup.

The Translation Editor will fetch the things that only need to be translated, and this is why this appears. I set this now to Translate Manually, and everything looks fine now - hidden link

Can you please confirm, or if the problem is still there, please provide me the exact steps to replicate the issue.

Thanks.

October 12, 2015 at 3:27 pm #723018

jariL-2

Yes, when using "Create translations manually" everything is working fine. However, I want to use translation editor, becuase in that way translator can see original text at the same time.

You said "The Translation Editor will fetch the things that only need to be translated, and this is why this appears", but actually it is also copying custom fields. The problem here it that it does not copy Format or Featured images custom fields.

How to reproduce (see video i posted earlier as private):

1. Activate translation editor (Multilingual Content Setup -> "Use the translation editor")
2. Go to posts and add English or Russian translation to some post-element by clicking +-sign
3. Put some text to fields and complete translation clicking Save translatation
4. Open tranlation (hidden link) page and original one (hidden link)

EXPECTED:
5. Picture is shown in both versions

HAPPENS:
6. No picture in translation

If you open translation page on WP-admin in manual editor (hidden link) you can see that Format or Featured images were not copied.

October 13, 2015 at 7:46 am #723421

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

I just saw the video now, didn't notice it before. I will need you to run few tests for me now :

1. Please check if the problem persist when :

- All non WPML Plugins are disabled
- Theme is set to default Twenty Fourteen

2. Activate WordPress debug.log and see if there are any errors displayed? Here are the instructions for activating it : https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

3. You can also check the Chrome built-in JavaScript Console for errors. To open the console go to Menu (Three Bars) > Tools > JavaScript Console

Please paste here any errors that you see in the WordPress debug.log or in JS Console.

Thanks.

October 15, 2015 at 5:54 pm #726116

jariL-2

That almost fixed issue. At least Featured image is now copied, but Format is still Standard in translation, but in originall it is Gallery.

October 16, 2015 at 9:04 am #726549

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

Since you have a dev version of the site, can you please install our latest beta package and see if this resolves the problem completely?

You can download "CMS Beta Package" from the bottom of this page : https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

Thanks.

October 16, 2015 at 4:45 pm #726993

jariL-2

Did not help, Format or Featured image was not copied. I also tried create & translate new post after disabling plugins & updating beta version.

October 19, 2015 at 7:50 am #727672

Mladen Andrejic

Hello,

I was able to replicate this problem on a fresh install, so I have escalated this to our 2nd tier for debugging, and they will forward it to our developers.

You will be contacted when new informations are available.

Thanks.

October 22, 2015 at 1:05 pm #730689

Ankit

Hi jariL-2,

This is Ankit from second tier support team. I will assist you with the issue further, hope this is fine with you. 🙂

I have escalated this issue to our development team and they are currently working on it. I will get back to you as soon as I'll have any update over the issue.

Thanks for your ongoing patience.

Regards
Ankit G.

October 22, 2015 at 1:32 pm #730714

jariL-2

Thank you for informaton. Let's hope developers get things working 🙂 Our release will be delayed because of this issue 🙁

October 22, 2015 at 1:41 pm #730723

Ankit

Hi jariL-2,

As a workaround for now, you can go to WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup > How to translate posts and pages, and select "Create translations manually" and Save.

This should work for you now. As soon as this issue is fixed by our developers, you can opt "Translation Editor" option.

This could hopefully avoid delaying of project.

Regards
Ankit

October 23, 2015 at 10:56 am #731403

Ankit

Hi jariL-2,

Developers confirmed that this has been fixed and will be available in upcoming release of plugin.

Regards
Ankit G.