This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by katherineZ 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
August 30, 2019 at 2:29 am #4484305

katherineZ

I am trying to:
get wpml to work
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:
Following your support answers, I deleted all previous wpml plugins and then installed manually and activated only to have the same result.

This site was previously multisite, but I had to change it to single site. Can you help?

August 30, 2019 at 7:51 am #4485151

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Katherine,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

The message says that WPML Core is not active. Could you please add me you WPML Debug Info? Here I can see if the WPML Core plugin is active. https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please let me know

Best Marcel

August 30, 2019 at 12:29 pm #4487097

katherineZ

I cannot give you the debug info because WPML is not showing up on the left menu.

August 30, 2019 at 12:43 pm #4487233

Marcel
Supporter

Hi, then WPML is not activated on your site.

Please go to Plugins -> All Plugins and activate "WPML Multilingual CMS" if you see it in the list or download it at https://wpml.org/de/account/downloads/ and install it manually to your site.

This will solve your issue.

Best Marcel

August 30, 2019 at 12:50 pm #4487279

katherineZ

Okay, if you review my ticket, you will see a screenshot that shows that I have all the plugins activated and registered. Following your wiki, I did not contact support until I had deleted all the plug ins, downloaded the latest version and installed manually through ftp and then activated one at a time.

It shows activated, but is not listed on the side menu and has the warning on top.

August 30, 2019 at 1:04 pm #4487335

Marcel
Supporter

Sorry, there is no screenshot with the activated plugins added. The warning on top means you have only the Add-On WPML Media Translation activated, not WPML Core (WPML Multilingual CMS).

Can you please try if you can open WPML Core using the URL /wp-admin/admin.php?page=sitepress-multilingual-cms%2Fmenu%2Flanguages.php ?

I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

✙ Please add the Links to the […] Edit Screen, the Page/Post where you insert the […] and the corresponding Front End Page/Screen

Best Marcel

August 30, 2019 at 2:22 pm #4487709

Marcel
Supporter

Thanks, I can confirm it's a user access problem, which is probably caused by the Multisite change.

I can see hidden link a user access problem.

I will try to find a fix for this and update you ASAP.

Best Marcel

September 2, 2019 at 9:02 am #4495547

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Katherine,

Could you please re-check the FTP credentials? I'm getting stuck with "Searching for host". I would need to activate the PHP error log.

Thank You

Best Marcel

September 3, 2019 at 9:54 am #4503157

Marcel
Supporter

Thanks, WPEngine uses Port 2222, that was missing on the credentials.

I tested various options and migrated the site to our Cloudways server where the issue also appears. Also, a reinstallation of WPML didn't solve the problem on the clone.

I consulted our 2nd Tier for their opinion, and I will update ASAP as I receive feedback.

Best Marcel

September 6, 2019 at 12:06 am #4522201

katherineZ

Any news?

September 6, 2019 at 9:32 am #4524381

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Katherine,

For the moment no suggested workaround was working on your site. I added your case already to our bug tracker where a developer will take a look.

Thank you for your patience. I will update you ASAP as I receive a working solution or feedback.

Best Marcel

September 6, 2019 at 2:06 pm #4525713

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Katherine,

now it's working and you can re-configure WPML here in the Menu:

Probably because the Multisite change the DB field in "wp_options" named "_wpml_inactive" was set to "true". We removed this now.

Best Marcel

September 8, 2019 at 12:13 am #4529957

katherineZ

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!