This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
September 22, 2018 at 11:16 am #2757332

gianandreaV

I am trying to deactivate media translation.

The media translation plugin has been deactivated, however I still see the media translation tab at the end of WPML-> settings (see attachment).
Why is this tab still there when the "media" plugin is uninstalled?

I tried to deactivate the following options but i get a bad response error in the console and a "set content prepare please try again error" on screen.

- When uploading media to the Media library, make it available in all languages
- Duplicate media attachments for translations
- Duplicate featured images for translations

In the post_type translation tab "Media (attachment)" is now set to "not translatable". Before it was set to translatable and it caused duplication of images and lots of problems.

Now, if I upload an image to a product (in italian) I don't see it anymore in the media library.
It shows in the frontend and it seems to be ok, but now in the media library.
When "Media (attachment)" was translatable I could see an "attached" image in italian and an "unattached" images in english.
I would like to get rid of the english ones.

Actually, since our client doesn't require an english version of the website anymore, we'd like to deactivate WPML altogether, however for SEO reasons, the /it/ bit in the url should be preserved.
How can this be achieved?

for ex.
hidden link

September 24, 2018 at 9:15 pm #2761830

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us.

This is a bug and our developers are aware of this. This will be fixed in a future version of WPML.

In order for the images to be duplicated at this time, the post type "Media" must be marked for "Translatable" and the following options must be marked:

[X] Duplicate media attachments for translations
[X] Duplicate featured images for translations

>>> In the post_type translation tab "Media (attachment)" is now set to "not translatable". Before it was set to translatable and it caused duplication of images and lots of problems.

The option of "Media" as translatable should not duplicate the images. Images are duplicated by the above options or by the image synchronization option, which you do when you click on the "Start" button.

Please, could you check the "Media" post type as "Translatable" and the above options and then try to sync the images again?

Thank you.

September 28, 2018 at 8:49 am #2772973

gianandreaV

Yes, i did notice that by checking Media as translatable, I can later uncheck Duplicate Media and Duplicate featured images, though I guess by checking media as untranslatable i'd expect a global deactivation of media duplication.
I could eventually get rid of the duplicated images.
Can you provide assistance about this issue in the previous email?

"since our client doesn't require an english version of the website anymore, we'd like to deactivate WPML altogether, however for SEO reasons, the /it/ bit in the url should be preserved."

Thank you

September 28, 2018 at 5:38 pm #2774524

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Bruno is on vacation so I'm taking this ticket. Keeping the language URL is not possible if you deactivate WPML. In terms of SEO, you will need to implement 301 redirections in your .htaccess so that translated links lead to the links in your original language.

Best regards,
Ricardo

The topic ‘[Closed] wpml media problem’ is closed to new replies.