This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
April 24, 2018 at 6:07 pm #1795264

francoP-4

Ricardo,
why should the plugin touch the image names at all? It is supposed to update titles, alt attributes, and other descriptions, but not the names, or am I wrong?
We are doing all efforts to keep the URLs relative for a future move to https and the plugin undoes all that on all the additional languages. We will be obliged to use yet another plugin to move to https or do ugly database queries 🙁
For the upgrade, that is a dev site (and not on DNS) and I cannot apply the license to easily keep it up to date. I'd have to downlaod and upload at each new release. However, I can assure you all the issues (including the reset of the static home page!) have been first observed on the live site, after we went live and we then we had the need to translate image related information.

At this point I think the plugin does not fit our needs; is there an alternative way of translating the image attributes? What do you suggest? The main issue is SEO, but also translating captions and titles in image galleries (see page scidus, for instance) which are well visible to front-end visitors.

Regards
Franco

April 24, 2018 at 9:55 pm #1798763

Ricardo Alday

"why should the plugin touch the image names at all?"
Like I mentioned earlier, this does not happen on a clean installation using your same setup. It's either due to the outdated plugins or some sort of plugin/server clash.

Paths only become absolute if you copy the content from the original language page/post, this is done by WPML Media to ensure that the images load across all languages urls. Remember that the language code is added to the url in one way or another, either as a subfolder or as a parameter.
You can always edit the translated pages and manually update image links, attributes and targets.

May 2, 2018 at 8:27 am #1924637

francoP-4

"You can always edit the translated pages and manually update image links, attributes and targets."
Apart from the additional work needed to go en edit every page in every language, in shortcode generated galleries the attributes cannot be edited manually, they are taken from the defined and translated images.

Given the above bugs (which they may be eventually fixed) and the behaviour (arbitrarily changing URLs to absolute), this plugin is not suited for us. Is there an alternative?

Regards

May 3, 2018 at 6:09 pm #1964845

Ricardo Alday

Hi Franco,

I understand your predicament and I'm not sure if there are other plugins that will address this issue. You can checkout Polylang. There's paid service called WeGlot that might work.

The topic ‘[Closed] wpml media removes src from translated pages’ is closed to new replies.