This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.
Activate WPML on a new website, but when I activate it the frontend shows "Page not found" and the pages in the backend are unreachable to edit.
Checking the debug.log content, I see these errors:
[07-Sep-2016 14:31:17 UTC] WordPress databasefout Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' bij query SELECT t.element_id, tax.term_id, tax.taxonomy
Please follow these steps:
1. Install and use the plugin Adminer or use phpMyAdmin to edit the database
2. Make sure that you have a backup of your database
3. Go to wp-admin/Tools -> Adminer and Start Adminer, or please run phpmyadmin
4. Go to the table that is in different collation and click on its name
6. Go to "Alter table"
7. Change the table and/or cells collation to match the original collation
NOTE: If that does not work, you might have to go to each table and change the field collation as well. Applying the collation for a table does not mean its fields collation is getting changed as well.
This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.
Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.