Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Activate WPML on a new website, but when I activate it the frontend shows "Page not found" and the pages in the backend are unreachable to edit.

Checking the debug.log content, I see these errors:

[07-Sep-2016 14:31:17 UTC] WordPress databasefout Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '=' bij query SELECT t.element_id, tax.term_id, tax.taxonomy

Solution:
Please follow these steps:
1. Install and use the plugin Adminer or use phpMyAdmin to edit the database
2. Make sure that you have a backup of your database
3. Go to wp-admin/Tools -> Adminer and Start Adminer, or please run phpmyadmin
4. Go to the table that is in different collation and click on its name
6. Go to "Alter table"
7. Change the table and/or cells collation to match the original collation
8. Save

NOTE: If that does not work, you might have to go to each table and change the field collation as well. Applying the collation for a table does not mean its fields collation is getting changed as well.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by robR-9 3 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
September 1, 2016 at 2:45 pm #1053664

robR-9

I am trying to:
Activate WPML on a new website, but when I activate it the frontend shows "Page not found" and the pages in the backend are unreachable to edit.
URL of (my) website where problem appears:
xxx.nl
I expected to see:
A multilingual website
Instead, I got:
Page not found
Steps to duplicate the issue:

September 2, 2016 at 1:23 am #1054619

Dat Hoang

#1,
Debugging
1. Please follow the debugging information provided here: http://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/ .
2. Repeat the action of creating the problem.
3. Copy and paste the contents of debug.log (log file inside the /wp-content/ directory) here for me to see.

#2,
It looks like there are some issues in configuring WPML.
Please follow these steps and let's see that does help or not .

1. Make a backup for your site, both database and files.
2. Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting, scroll down and choose "Reset".
3. Disable all plugins, switch to one of default themes.
4. Activate WPML and install it again.

Does this help?

September 7, 2016 at 2:35 pm #1065873

robR-9

Hi Dat Hoang,

Thanks for your response, I missed your reply because of a wrong notification address, but here I am.
Somehow the problem on xxx.nl has been resolved.. Thing is that xxx.nl was a development domain for a multisite WordPress installation which is now installed on hidden link. At this domain, the problems still occur. Can you assist here?

I followed your steps and copied the contents of debug.log, you can find them here:

I just did a reset of WPML, disabled all plug-ins and changed to the default theme, activated WPML and installed it again, but the same error as before is shown: page not found. In the WordPress back-end, no pages are linked to a language either, maybe this helps?

Please let me know what you think, thanks!

September 8, 2016 at 4:49 am #1066826

Dat Hoang

This issue should be fixed in WPML 3.5.1.1.

Please follow these steps:

0. Install the plugin Adminer or use Adminer or phpMyAdmin to edit the database
1. Make sure that you have a back up of your database.
2. Go to wp-admin/Tools -> Adminer and Start Adminer, or please run phpmyadmin
4. Go to the table that is in different collation and click on its name.
5. Go to "Alter table"
6. Change the table and/or cells collation to match the original collate.
7. Save

Does that help?

September 8, 2016 at 9:22 am #1067659

robR-9

Hi Dat Hoang,

I changed the collation of tables wp_icl_translations, wp_2_icl_translations, wp_3_icl_translations, wp_4_icl_translations, wp_5_icl_translations from utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci to utf8mb4_unicode_ci, but with no result. I guess I'm doing something wrong, but as I'm not a database expert I'm not sure whether my changes are correct. Can you point me in the right direction on which tables I need to change to what collation?
I attached some screenshots of my database tables with this post.

If you want I can create a login for you so that you can take a look at the site yourself?

Thanks!

September 8, 2016 at 10:36 am #1068065

Dat Hoang

Please go to the each table and you need to change the field collation as well.

Applying the collocation for a table does not mean its field collation are getting changed as well.

Can you please try again?

----

If that does not help, I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. hidden link

These info is private, and available to you and supporters only. Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note that:
+ Backup (both files and database) your site before giving us your credentials
+ It would be better if you give me the test site rather than the live site.

September 8, 2016 at 2:53 pm #1069061

robR-9

Hi Dat Hoang,

The issue is resolved! It seems that I indeed only changed the collation of table "wp_icl_translations", while I had to change the collation of the column "element_type" inside this table. After changing this everything works as expected.

Thanks for your help!