Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Laura 2 years, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Rohan Sadanandan.

Author Posts
August 15, 2019 at 8:06 pm #4403245

martynS

We are using Cornerstone/X-theme, with WPML. I have provided debug information below. We have content in 3 languages, the default being English

If I open a Dutch language page (already linked to an English original) in the Cornerstone editor, and then save the page, the contents of the saved page are replaced with the contents of the linked page in the default language. So Dutch contents are overwritten.

We've seen another recent forum item describing the same issue:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/wpml-overwrites-cornerstone-translations-with-default-language/

This is marked as resolved, but we don't see an actual solution. Your support person recommended one setting change, "The WPML Translation Editor can be disabled on the page editor in the right sidebar (See screenshot)". The end-user wrote that this did not solve the problem, but noted that disabling the WPML Media plugin DID solve the problem. We have followed this advice, and yes, it resolves the problem.

However, our client USES the WPML Media plugin, so this is NOT a solution. Please advise? The other thread ends with the comment (on Aug 12):

---- I also disabled "WPML Media" on the live website and everything works as expected.
I believe this is a bug in "WPML Media" which should be resolved. ----

We think the same, so can you please provide a solution/fix. The issue is not resolved.

Martyn Simpson, BSL.

August 16, 2019 at 8:39 pm #4408145

martynS

Hallo? Is there anybody out there? There is a showstopping issue with your WPML Media plugin, but support staff aren't interested?

August 19, 2019 at 7:46 am #4414127

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support and sorry for the delay.

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.
Instructions to send private information are here: hidden link

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Also, please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 22, 2019 at 2:29 pm #4440357

martynS

Yes, we still need support. We had to first move the site to a second (client) server, before we can give you access to our development server. I will provide credentials/url shortly.

August 22, 2019 at 2:54 pm #4440601

martynS

Can you pls send me another request for credentials… Since I sent my previous reply, I don't see an option right now to provide information in a private message.

August 23, 2019 at 7:01 am #4444607

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

I've enabled the private reply.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 26, 2019 at 12:21 pm #4458387

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

I've created a local copy of your site & is currently debugging the same.
I'll update you soon.

Thanks,
Rohan

August 28, 2019 at 9:47 am #4472925

martynS

We've installed X-theme and Cornerstone. We are working on a recipe that reproduces the problem to assist you in the resolution of the issue. We will provide more information asap.

August 28, 2019 at 4:46 pm #4476057

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

Thank you for the information.
Please let me know once you have completed the setup.

Thanks,
Rohan

September 5, 2019 at 7:43 am #4516323

martynS

Hi,

It looks like the bug doesn't occur when we try to reproduce it on the test site. We're investigating if the page content has anything to do with it (the pages on our client's site we're built some time ago with an older version of X-Theme/Cornerstone). Another reason might be that the test site has a lot fewer plugins installed (so that would point to a plugin conflict).

We'll get back to you as soon as we know more.

September 5, 2019 at 9:37 am #4517815

martynS

Hi,

As we started to suspect, the issue occurs when using Cornerstone's "Classic" elements in combination with WP Media plugin enabled. Steps to reproduce:

1) Go to the WP sandbox > Admin > Pages.
2) Create a new English page, give it a title and publish it.
3) Now open the page in Cornerstone (from the Edit Page > Edit in Cornerstone, top left).
4) In Cornerstone, add a Section.
5) Now go to the Elements tab and add a Classic Text element to the section.
6) Write something in English, for example: "Hello, world"
7) Save the page and verify it in the frontend (see screenshot #01)

8) In Cornerstone, switch to NL and choose to copy the contents from the English page
9) Edit the Classic Text element to something else (ex: "Hallo, wereld")
10) Save the page. Open it in the frontend.

The page says "Hello, world", not "Hallo, wereld".

11) Just to double check, edit the page and change the page title so it says "[title] NL"
12) Save the page, open it in the frondend. (see screenshot #02)

The page says "Hello, world", not "Hallo, wereld".

13) Go to Admin > Plugins and disable the WP Media plugin
14) Now return to the Dutch (NL) page, Edit in Cornerstone, Save (without editing anything) and check the frondend page. (see screenshot #03)

The page says "Hallo, wereld".

15) To double check, re-enable the WP Media plugin, Save the page in the Cornerstone editor and verify: The page says "Hello, world", not "Hallo, wereld", once more.

Also see:
hidden link
hidden link

repro-03-nl.jpg
repro-02-nl.jpg
repro-01-en.jpg
September 6, 2019 at 8:00 am #4523889

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the detailed report.
I have escalated this ticket to the Compatibility team.
I will get back to you as soon as I have something to share.

Thanks,
Rohan

September 16, 2019 at 7:31 am #4576855

Rohan Sadanandan

Hello,

This is to inform you that this issue has been escalated to the WPML developers team.

Till the issue is fixed, our team has suggested that you can try one of the 2 workarounds:

1. Use WPML Translation Editors instead of using their manual translation method.

2. Update the pages when WPML Media is deactivated.

I will update you as soon as I get an update from the developers team regarding the status.

Thank you for your patience & understanding.

Thanks,
Rohan

March 2, 2020 at 11:38 am #5598571

martynS

Any news on this? It's been ~6 months.

July 16, 2021 at 2:07 pm #9217863

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Fixed in WPML 4.3.12

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.