This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ricardo Alday 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
September 12, 2018 at 6:56 pm #2728759

Shivani Verma

We are in a process of upgrading to PHP7/mysql5.7.22 version . Our application is hosted in Wpengine , when we try to perform an upgrade on the staging WPML is throwing many sql errors

When we perform this update on our staging environment WPML functionality are failed completely . Later looking into the log we have noticed that many sql statement are failing due to sql_mode default settings changes in mysql5.7.22 version , and the "ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY" parameter in particular . Wpengine environment won't support to change this mysql configuration because this new settings are designed to enforce MySQL compatibility with PHP 7 standards of performance optimization. We need your help to resolve this issue . We are using the latest available WPML version .Attaching screen shot of errors for your reference

September 14, 2018 at 6:25 pm #2736413

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thanks for contacting support. I have passed this information to our developers so they can review. I will update you as soon as I have some feedback.

Best regards,
Ricardo

September 17, 2018 at 9:48 pm #2742682

Shivani Verma

Hi There ,

This ticket is very very critical for us and need your help for resolving it ASAP. Is there any contact you directly over phone or email ?

September 18, 2018 at 12:25 am #2742830

Ricardo Alday

I understand your urgency to have this resolved but our developers are still looking into this. My initial tests with the same PHP and MySQL versions didn't have the same issues. When you say "Wpengine environment won't support to change this mysql", is that the official stance from WPEngine? Are you not able to change the database configuration?

September 18, 2018 at 4:12 pm #2745873

Shivani Verma

Wpengine suggested to follow the below steps to reproduce this issue

"The error you are experiencing in your error logs is due to changes in the sqlmode=ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY configuration we use in the PHP 7 environment (MySQL 5.7.22). Below is a listing of the sql_mode settings for the PHP 7 environment:
+---------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+---------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| sql_mode | ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION |
Please note that these settings cannot be changed without root privileges and to do so would only be a temporary solution as any reboot or restart of the MySQL service will revert the settings back to default as listed above. The new settings are designed to enforce MySQL compatibility with PHP 7 standards of performance optimization.

If you run the following command against your local environment, you will see the sql_mode that your local environment is running:
sudo mysql -e "SHOW GLOBAL VARIABLES like 'sql_mode';"
For more information about MySQL modifications to the sql_mode default settings, and the "ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY" parameter in particular, please review the following documentation:

hidden link

I would suggest providing this information to the WPML dev as well. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to us at anytime. We would be happy to assist you further if needed."

September 19, 2018 at 12:48 am #2746764

Ricardo Alday

Thanks. I've passed this information to the developers.

September 19, 2018 at 9:24 pm #2750058

Shivani Verma

Ticket status is showing as "Waiting for user feedback" , I have passed all the information to you guys . Can you please update the ticket status accordingly . Are you guys able to reproduce this issue ?.Also when we can except a replay on this .

September 20, 2018 at 1:21 am #2750223

Ricardo Alday

I have updated the status of this ticket to [Escalated to 2nd Tier].
Our 2nd tier support is a bit backed up so I cannot give you an exact date where this will be addressed. I will update this ticket as soon as I have any news.

September 21, 2018 at 3:08 am #2753962

Shivani Verma

Can you guys at least confirm whether you are able to reproduce this issue or not .

September 21, 2018 at 3:49 pm #2755891

Ricardo Alday

Our 2nd tier support was unable to reproduce the issue with the same PHP and MySQL version and SQL mode.
In fact, the 'ONLY_FULL_GROUP_BY' mode is incompatible by WordPress: hidden link

There's nothing much we can do from our end.

The topic ‘[Closed] WPML plugin to fails after PHP 7/Mysql 5.7.22 upgrade [wpengine]’ is closed to new replies.