This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 14, 2019 at 11:57 am #4021121

leonhardS

I am trying to: Update the Plugins WPML Media, WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: Admin Backend

I expected to see: Updates being executed

Instead, I got: Updates fail

Hello,

I am trying to update several wpm Plugins but the updates always fail. I have read other Support entries and have read, that I can delete and reinstall the plugins.

But will this lead me to lose all the translations?

How should I proceed in order to update the Plugins, but not lose my previous translations/.

Best regards,
Leo

June 14, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4021959

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Leo,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

When updating the plugin, the translations and all the other content on your website stays the same. Only the plugin files are replaced.
If you're still afraid that anything will be lost, you can first create a backup of the website (before updating the plugins). This way, even if anything goes wrong (even though it shouldn't), you'll be able to roll back the website to a working state.

Thanks,
Radu

June 14, 2019 at 2:01 pm #4021963

leonhardS

Hello Radu,

I am not sure if we are on the same page here.

I can not update the Plugins. Therefore, I would have to deinstall them and reinstall them afterwards to get them on the newest version.

Can this be done without losing my translations?

Thanks,
Leo

June 17, 2019 at 6:46 am #4032435

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Leo,

The translations are not saved in the plugins. The update is just replacing the old files of the plugin with the new ones. The translations are saved to the database and are safe. You can create a backup of the website first, before updating the plugins. The website will be saved in the current state. Once you update the plugins, if any translation is gone, you can easily roll back to the working version by using the backup. Here's an article where you can find a list of plugins you can use to create a backup hidden link.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] WPML Plugins fail to update’ is closed to new replies.