This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by kristiW 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 1:52 pm #4381471

kristiW

My website as a whole has come a screeching halt and the admin has become unusable (constant timeout errors). I contacted my hosting/workflow provider and they found that WPML is preventing site caching and likely causing the degraded performance. Is this anything you can help with? Thank you in advance!

August 13, 2019 at 9:49 am #4386777

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

When these timeouts happen, are there any logs within debug.log file or server logs? You can get these like this:

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 10 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

As for server logs, you need to reach out the hosting support to provide this.

As for caching, WPML is certainly not preventing caching - instead, it is compatible with most popular WordPress caching solutions and we also have tutorials about this, such as:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/optimize-multilingual-website-performance-using-w3-total-cache/

You can also see the list here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_view_count=119945&dev%5B%5D=0&wpv_post_search=cache&wpv_filter_submit=Search

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 13, 2019 at 4:23 pm #4389487

kristiW

Thanks for responding Bruno -

This is the code that my hosting provider gave me when they indicated that WPML was the plugin causing the issue. They said WPML was forcing server starts and not allowing the site to cache.

--
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/menus-sync.php-45-
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/menus-sync.php-46-		if (!session_id()) {
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/menus-sync.php:47:			session_start();
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/menus-sync.php-48-		}
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/menus-sync.php-49-
--
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/class-wpml-nav-menu.php-135-
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/class-wpml-nav-menu.php-136-			if (!session_id()) {
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/class-wpml-nav-menu.php:137:				session_start();
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/class-wpml-nav-menu.php-138-			}
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/wp-nav-menus/class-wpml-nav-menu.php-139-
--
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-management/translation-management.class.php-73-		     || ( isset( $_GET[ 'page' ] ) && preg_match( '@/menu/translations-queue\.php$@', $_GET[ 'page' ] ) )
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-management/translation-management.class.php-74-		) {
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-management/translation-management.class.php:75:			@session_start();
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-management/translation-management.class.php-76-		}
./code/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/inc/translation-management/translation-management.class.php-77-		add_filter( 'icl_additional_translators', array( $this, 'icl_additional_translators' ), 99, 3 );
--

Let me know if you need any additional info.

Thanks!

August 14, 2019 at 6:14 am #4392599

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you update WPML and all its add-ons to the latest versions and tell me if the issue is still there?
https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

I see that you are using 4.2.6. for example. In the meantime, I have asked our 2nd tier support on what these messages mean or how to interpret them.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 14, 2019 at 9:49 am #4393859

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I received a response from our 2nd tier:

"session_start is a normal PHP function hidden link. The first ones are for menu translation/synchronization, the last one is for translation managemen Caching these and even caching WordPress backend is not something that you should do in our opinion."

Is there a reason why you (or the host) wants to cache these backend requests? I'm not sure how does the backend of the site work when you're caching its requests.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 19, 2019 at 1:57 pm #4416667

kristiW

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!