This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 35 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by jonatanL 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
June 17, 2019 at 5:05 pm #4037397

jonatanL

I am trying to:
Send a text to translation service Gengo
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
Order basket
I expected to see:
Success
Instead, I got:
Gengo don't support sv -> en

I don't think WPML should just send 'en' when we ordering a translation, why not send it as the locale (default wpml is en_US) this makes more sense to me instead of just sending "car" it should send the specific modell..

June 17, 2019 at 7:52 pm #4038283

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

Gengo at the moment only supports from SV (Swedish) to English (British) (default locale en_GB)

if possible please go to WPML->Languages->Edit language-> change your default locale to en_GB and let me know your results

the translation service should be able to recognize your selected locale.

June 17, 2019 at 7:59 pm #4038293

jonatanL

When I using your default language English the language.code is just 'en' then I get an error from Gengo that it's not supports sv => en, if I create a custom language with code = 'en_GB' it solves the issue but why do you have a broad language 'en' as default and why do you send language.code instead of language.locale that is more specific? Feel strange to me that you sending code instead of locale specially when we talking about translations services.

June 17, 2019 at 8:01 pm #4038295

jonatanL

What if Gengo had been supporting both en_US and en_GB, what will it then default to? Shouldn't this be a setting in WPML or maybe easier if it was sending the locale(en_US or en_GB and so on) instead of just code (en)?

June 18, 2019 at 4:20 pm #4045185

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

i have escalated your ticket to our developer's team that is responsible for the Translation Services to take a further look into this issue

at the meantime if its possible we would like to take a closer look at the backend

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you,
Bobby

June 20, 2019 at 8:50 am #4057727

jonatanL

Hi,

I'm not happy to give you access to our servers.

But simply the problem is that when we send translations to some translation service like textmaster, gengo or semantix. All them have different locale-codes for what they want to receive.

Textmaster for example if we sen 'en' they take that as US English, Gengo also support 'en' but if we want to order British English they want the code as 'en-gb' this means that is we using Textmaster our Language.code should be 'en' but if we using Gengo the code should be 'en-gb' and if we using Semantix they want it as 'enGB'

We can set all custom languages but that will also affect our url structure so if we using Textmaster with US English it will be /en but if we using Gengo it will be /en-gb and with Semantix it will be /enGB.

This locks us in to one company, if we want to change from let say Gengo to Semantix this means we have to create a new custom language and move all current pages/posts to the new language and do some redirect when the url will change from /en-gb to /enGB.

So what I think you should add is a field to the language that is something like 'code_for_translations' that is used when we ordering translations when all translators want this in different formats.

If you do that and we want to from one provider to another we can just change this code so it's fits the translation services language format / codes, so we can keep /en but in the backend when ordering translations we send enGB or en or en-gb, so it will not affect the system if we change provider.

June 20, 2019 at 7:43 pm #4062827

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

thank you for the additional information. this ticket has been escalated to our second tier. Once there are news i will update you here with our developer's feedback

if you are unable to provide us with access to the backend , please consider providing a duplicator package which can be created with the duplicator plugin

June 24, 2019 at 10:23 am #4076419

jonatanL

Hi,

Why do you need that? You don't get the problem?

You can take a new WP install, set 3 languages Swedish, German and English try to send it to Gengo and you will get an error Gengo not support pairs sv->en (the only support sv->en-gb).
If you change your language to en-gb and sv it will work.

Then a month later you think of switching to Textmaster then try the same and you will get an error because they only support sv->en so you have to change the language and move all the previous posts to the new language and then move on.

If you later again want to switch to Semantix you have to do this again when they want it as enGB -> svSE and so on.

Please just give the case to the developer and they will understand the problem.

Best,
Jonatan

June 24, 2019 at 5:23 pm #4078963

jonatanL

So simply add a field to languages that is something like

"Code used when sending translations"
Use that instead of language.code so it's easier to change this code if you switch translation service and they using a code like "en-gb" instead of "enGB" or just "en" for British English.

It can fallback to language.code if this field is not set.

July 9, 2019 at 3:00 pm #4172187

jonatanL

We have been switching back and forth so right now we only use Textmaster. But why is that interesting?

The problem is when changing from Semantix to Textmaster when they use different codes

July 10, 2019 at 11:45 am #4179689

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I'm asking to know which project is used now, so if you are using TextMaster, and I think you want to send your languages from sv -> en right?
So please ask TextMaster to add this language pair to your project and then go to WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Services, and click on "Refresh language pairs" then try again to send the jobs.

Please let me know if that helps you.
Best regards.

July 13, 2019 at 6:04 am #4202983

jonatanL

So you say that I can ask Textmaster to allow me to send 'en' and point that to 'en-gb' in their system?

When I asked Gengo I got this answer from the support ""Could you update the configuration to ensure it works for me in the future?" exactly means?"

Doesn't the code I send to Gengo / Textmaster have to be one of the codes they supports?

July 13, 2019 at 6:06 am #4202987

jonatanL

So you saying that I can set my language.code to be 'en' when I using Textmaster it will work because they supports the code 'en' and if I switch to Gengo and want British english I can ask them to point 'en' to be 'en-gb'? I think they will say I should send the code as 'en-gb' and not 'en'?

July 13, 2019 at 6:11 am #4202991

jonatanL

When I try to send 'sv' to 'en' to gengo I get a message that is't not supported, but you saying that Gengo have some config that can config so they use 'en-gb' if I send 'en' ?

July 13, 2019 at 6:23 am #4202995

jonatanL

When sending sv and en to Gengo I get that I should send them

"I wanted to let you know that you're currently not supporting sv (Swedish) to en (English) which I am hoping to use on my website."

But when I asked the Gengo support they didn't know about this config, they want it as en-gb instead of just 'en' then I have to change my languages..so it's 'en-gb' and not 'en' then I have to move my current translated posts to the new language when you can't edit the lanauge.code...this is the problem...so why not have a field translation_code_used_when_sending_translations that I can simply change to 'en-gb' so I don't have to affect all the current pages and url structure?