This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
June 12, 2019 at 6:31 am

Maikel

I am trying to: speed up WPML

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: See website

I expected to see: a faster website

Instead, I got: a slow backend and frontend.

I have tried allot:
https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/
Al reset buttons etc etc

When i have WPML activated and i do a gmetrix test, the website (a page with only a logo and text) loads almost 2 seconds slower then without WPML. I also installed Query Monitor and i keeps telling me that the WPML database is slowing things down;

Caller: WPML_DB_Chunk->retrieve().

I really like your plugin but this is real bad. Can't figure out the problem.
The hosting environment is fine. Got a test website and a live website, both on different servers, and both have the same problems. Switching languages is taking ages.

Hope to get some help soon, thanks.

** I can also give you acces to the test website. You can try and make changes there.

June 12, 2019 at 8:13 am #4001575

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you please check this answer and try what I suggested there?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/lots-of-load-on-mysql-server/#post-3993563

Regards,
Bruno Kos

June 12, 2019 at 9:56 am #4002731

Maikel

Hi,

I have changed the setting to "Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins".

Now WPML_ST_Page_Translations_Persist->get_translations_for_page() is showing in the pages. As a slow query. The back-end is still quite slow, i think it did increase the performance on the front-end.

Is there more to increase performance on the back-end?

June 12, 2019 at 2:13 pm #4005061

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I've spent some time browsing through the website - I do see that you have about 40 active plugins and all of them are bringing some toll on the performance side, especially in the backend of the site where they load all their settings and database data. For me, the typical time (based on query monitor - which itself also adds some toll on the performance) would be about 2-5 seconds, based on which page I visit in the backend of the site.

As for the site speed on the front-end, I've used pingdom:
hidden link

I'm not sure if this can go any faster and also while browsing the site through various pages and changing languages, I do not see any very slow performance or the side being a slow.

I'm not sure what else to recommend at this point.

Regards,
Bruno Kos