This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
June 19, 2019 at 2:18 pm #4052101

patrickB-76

I am using WPML for the first time, and it has made the site so slow.

The homepage takes over 20 seconds to load.

I am on a shared hosting platform and have followed the directions to speed the site up. The only thing that made any difference was adding WP Super Cache.

Without WPML, the site loads in just a few seconds. With WPML it takes 20-25 seconds for the homepage to load. This is the site: hidden link

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

June 19, 2019 at 10:33 pm #4055049

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

1.- I would like to ask you to follow this steps in order to isolate the cause of the issue:
- Back up your site first before making any change, this is for security reasons.
- Update all outdated plugins and themes.
- Flush all cache memory.
- Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML.
- Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Seventeen.
- If the issue is gone, activate one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue.

Could you tell me the result of this steps?

2.- Please provide the debug information of the site. In this link you will find the steps to follow: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Kind regards,
Carlos

June 20, 2019 at 3:55 pm #4061241

patrickB-76

Hi Carlos,
Thanks you for your reply. I have carried out the tasks mentioned above.

I updated all the plugins, then turned them all off. Next, I activated the TwentySeventeen theme. My site now loads in three seconds! Happy days.

Then I turned my (real) theme back on, and the download is back to where we started. I think the conflict is with the theme rather than the plugins.

I have included the debug info with this reply.

Thanks very much.

June 21, 2019 at 12:19 am #4063675

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

It seems we are getting closer to isolate the cause of the issue. To make sure the issue is caused by a conflict between WPML and the theme I have created a test site with a fresh new WordPress install. I also installed and setup WPML plugins for you.

I kindly ask you to install the theme and check if the issue appears again in this test site. To log in directly in the site please visit this link: hidden link

Could you tell me if the issue appeared in the test site?
Regards,
Carlos

June 21, 2019 at 12:53 pm #4067251

patrickB-76

Thanks for your helps there Carlos,

I have installed the theme in the test site. Before installing the theme, the download time was about 2 seconds. After installing the theme, it was about 4-5 seconds.

However, then installed the demo content and the download time is now anywhere between 10-20 seconds. It's pretty much the same as my own site now (did I mention that my site is on a shared hosting platform? I don't know if this makes a difference.).

The issue seems to be the particular demo within the theme itself.

June 21, 2019 at 11:04 pm #4069443

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi,
Thank you very much for your message.

If you don't install or delete the demo content does the issue persists? Could you create the same content without the demo content and get the same performance issue?

Regards,
Carlos

July 3, 2019 at 11:04 am #4135237

patrickB-76

Hi Carlos,
Sorry for my delay in replying. My workload got crazy for a few days there.
When you say to create the same content without the demo content, do you mean I should perhaps recreate the entire site? That would take quite a while.
Do you think that there might just be a conflict with WPML and the demo?
Is the fact that it's hosted in a Shared Hosting platform an issue?

July 3, 2019 at 11:31 am #4135503

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

I had to create a new test site, you can access using this link: hidden link

What I mean is to check if the issue appears if you create a few pages and posts without importing the demo content. If there is no issue then import the demo content and compare the performance. I suspect that the cause of the issue might be in the demo content.

Regards,
Carlos

July 3, 2019 at 11:34 am #4135517

patrickB-76

Thanks Carlos. I'll try this method so.
Thanks again.
Patrick

July 3, 2019 at 11:39 am #4135535

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Patrick,

I will be waiting for your message.

Regards,
Carlos

July 4, 2019 at 4:48 pm #4145453

patrickB-76

Hi Carlos,
I tried creating new content. The site speed was fine. I then tried a few previous themes and everything was pretty much ok.
After this, I tried our proper theme again, but it went back to being slow again.
Then, I copied the site to the final hosting place (dedicated hosting rather than shared hosting) and it seems to be so much faster. I think the issue was the shared hosting.

July 5, 2019 at 9:57 am #4150025

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Patrick,
Thank you very much for your feedback.

Shared hosting shouldn't be a cause of performance issue 'per se', however if the shared hosting resources are being used by another app then it could be a problem.

Please let me know if the issue disappeared from the dedicated hosting.

Regards,
Carlos