This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcos Vinicios Barreto 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcos Vinicios Barreto.

Author Posts
July 29, 2019 at 7:39 pm #4303261

felix

I'd like to change string text in English version (default language). i can translate string to another language but i am not sure how to update existing english text.
for example, current string is "Please wait..." and i need to change to "Please wait for our response". how can I do that with wmpl string? kindly advise
( my site is English site only. no multiple language. thanks)

July 30, 2019 at 1:27 am #4303959

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Bahia (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Currently you don't have an option edit your default language strings using WPML String Translation as the purpose of WPML itself is to make your website multilingual availble. In the case of theme and plugins strings in the default language the needed approach should be editing themes and plugins files where the string/text appears. Another option is to use a plugin to edit your mo/po files. Please, let me know if you need any additional assistance and clarifications, have a nice day.

July 30, 2019 at 2:10 am #4304111

felix

thanks Marco, your suggestion is very helpful. as you said, "Another option is to use a plugin to edit your mo/po files", I only can find mo files like en_GB but I cannot find default mo file. I was thinking to update default mo file which change the text string, is there something like default mo for me to make changes? thanks

July 30, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4310185

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. In this case I recommend you to try a direct editing in your theme/plugin files as the only option viable when you don't have a default pot file. Here is what you would need to do:

1 - Open your entire theme/plugin folder with a code editor such as Notepad++ (see hidden link)

2 - Make a global search pressing CTRL + F for your desired theme/plugin text and edit it accordingly, save it and you should be done.

IMPORTANT: Please, note, a backup is required for security reasons and to avoid any data loss, you can use the https://wordpress.org/plugins/backupwordpress/ plugin for these backup needs.

Hope it helps, have a nice day.

July 30, 2019 at 7:51 pm #4310321

felix

thanks for your reply. so you mean i have to directly edit the file instead of editing mo? I worry this code will be overritten in future if there is an update thats why i am looking for something like wpml. so you mean editing the original file is the only way? thanks

July 31, 2019 at 7:43 pm #4317441

Marcos Vinicios Barreto
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. We can try an alternative using a hack with WPML, please, try the following:

1 - In your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > String Translation settings, find the string you need to edit and change its language to some language you won't use in your website and translate it to english.

2 - Make sure to disable the option 'Assume that the original language of all strings is English' from your WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Localization options > Other options settings.

Please, let me know if this alternative works for you. Have a nice day.