This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
July 16, 2019 at 7:58 am #4217299

maxP-8

Hello,

I have had a topic before, but it has been closed. After updating all plug-ins, and all WPML is running on the latest versions, we still have the String Translation module eating up our resources, resulting in many 502 errors. We use New Relic Monitoring to analyse our site and I have attached the images.

I have already followed these steps here: https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/ and this isn't helping.

What can we do about this? I am appreciating your help

Best regards,
Raymond

July 16, 2019 at 9:40 am #4218247

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Can you tell me if you tried setting up the following:
WPML -> Theme and plugins localization -> Don't use String Translation to translate themes and plugins

Does it help in your case?

We are currently evaluating various performance issues with WPML and one of the next versions of string translation in WPML will have major changes when it comes to performance and string handling. One of the changes will probably be having this activated by default, thus removing all these theme and plug-in translations from string translation plug-in.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 16, 2019 at 11:40 am #4219689

maxP-8

Hi Bruno,

I have changed this setting on the Staging Environment and the website does seem faster. However, as I do not have new relic enabled here, there is no way to tell for sure.

Bigger issue, this is not a solution to the problem. I have translated many plugins and a lot of custom work through WPML. And with this setting I loose all translations. I really hope that this is not the solution that you guys are going for..

Please let me know

July 16, 2019 at 2:15 pm #4220965

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

This option will not go away and there may be improvements in how it works, but the general idea will be abandoning string translation for translating plugins and themes. Because if you have thousands or tens of thousands (like some clients to) strings that come from plugins and themes, there is a load on database we can hardly avoid and it doesn't work well on some server setups.

Something in those lines:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/performance-question-mo-files-vs-db-string-translations/#post-14792

However, you will be able to export these translations into .po files and keep using them, so you would lose nothing in that regards.

I am still discussing this with our developers and will update this thread if I get a more precise information on what is coming in future versions.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

July 17, 2019 at 6:03 am #4226027

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I received a confirmation from our developers that the main idea will definitely be loading all these translations from .po files. However, here are some suggestions in order to make the site faster, especially in the backend:

- Lower the weight of the page size in MB. Compress images (EWWW plugin), minimize their quantity.
- Try to check your site with faster internet connection.
- Deactivate all unneded plugins. Do not use monitoring plugins like a Query Monitor on production site.
- Try to implement object caching with Redis. This significantly improves performance on backend. It requires support on hosting or VPS and a plugin. Better use this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/redis-cache/ Some page caching plugins like a W3 Total Cache can provide object caching too. In this case, Redis Cache plugin is not needed.
- Try to use faster hosting or VPS server. Heavy sites require more resources.
- Try to use page cachning plugin like Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, or WP-Rocket.
- Do not use any kind of SSL-helping plugins. They produce significant overhead redicrecting every request. To use https properly, just convert all links in the database by Duplicator plugin or WP-CLI.

Regards,
Bruno Kos