This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.31 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jakobL-3 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
September 18, 2019 at 10:17 am #4594987

jakobL-3

Hi support.

I have been using WPML on my WordPress Woocommerce shop for approx. a year now. 1 language Danish and second language english. However WPML String translation is slowing down both back- and frontend to an extend where I am considering turning off wpml. However I have put a lot of work into translation.
I have reviewed all of your tutorials and I am using both OPCache, WP Rocket, Autoptimize. Hosting is a big and fast solution and everything is up to date.

Can I run WPML without the String translation plugin active? (when disable this plugin front- and backend loads approx. 4 seconds faster.

Maybe you can help me troubleshoot.

Best Regards,

Jakob Larsen

September 19, 2019 at 6:57 am #4601729

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello Jakob,

I will help you with your issue.

Please let me know the method you used to check the site loading time.

It seems you are using Query Monitor plugin in your site. Based on our test we recommend the following

- Do not use Query Monitor on production site. With WPML, it slows down a site significantly. QM should be used to see what is going on, then switched off.

- Please use the simple Chrome extension Page Load Time (hidden link) to measure loading time.

Let me know the results.

However, Since you have requested a better way to use WPML with our String translation load, Our new beta release 4.3.0 has several performance updates which change the way how to string translation loads.
https://wpml.org/2019/09/wpml-4-3-0-beta-with-faster-string-translation-and-multisite/

If you still have issues, I would recommend testing our beta version of WPML in your staging or development site. Please follow the instructions on how to safely update to beta version https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-install-beta-and-development-versions-of-wpml/

Kind regards
Raja

September 19, 2019 at 1:48 pm #4605663

jakobL-3

Hi Raja

Thank you for your reply. I have now disabled the Query Monitor plugin and load-time has improved slightly. I have tweaked things some and now load speed is acceptable (backoffice is still quite slow). I will follow your progress on your new version of WPML and implement it when it comes off Beta.

The Chrome plugin you referred me to says loadtime of approx. 5 seconds (frontend) of the most difficult pages. Smaller pages of 1-2 seconds. So that is acceptable.

Thank you very much for your assistance. Best Regards,

September 20, 2019 at 3:11 am #4609091

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Glad the recommendations help. The next version will address most of the performance issue our developers are actively working on it.

Please mark the ticket as resolved if there is no further assistance needed in this case. Feel free contact us at any time of your convenience.

Kind regards
Raja

September 20, 2019 at 6:14 am #4609943

jakobL-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!