Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.4 before reporting any issue

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Joanna 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Joanna.

Author Posts
August 21, 2017 at 7:40 pm #1347654

kamalpreetS

As per my previous support tickets, some users were having an empty cart when checking out on my website and some users weren't have any issue. Nonetheless, I duplicated my site and staged it; I tested every plugin and it came down to WPML Translation Management being a conflicting plugin. I'd recommend looking into this as I deactivated and activated and ensured this was the reason why the cart was empty during checkout. Please look into this.

August 22, 2017 at 11:24 am #1348114

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

First of all, when you deactivate WPML Translation Management, WooCommerce Multilingual gets disabled as well. Did you test your site with WooCommerce Multilingual deactivated and WPML Translation Management still active? If not, please try it as well.

Is it possible that the users that had problems switched the languages in the meantime? If so, with some themes or plugins such an issue may happen. In this case, you need to:
1. Go to WooCommerce->WooCoomerce Multilingual->Settings tab.
2. In the "Cart" section, choose the "Prompt for a confirmation and reset the cart" option in the"Switching languages when there are items in the cart" section.
3. If you use the multi-currency option and the issue appears when the currency is changed during shopping, choose also the "Prompt for a confirmation and reset the cart" option in the "Switching currencies when there are items in the cart".

If the issue happens even if the language or currency is not being changed during shopping and if you didn't make such a test yet, please test if the issue still occurs with all non-WPML plugins deactivated (besides WooCommerce) and the default theme active, e.g. Twenty Seventeen. If not, please activate your plugins one by one and check each time if errors are back. If not, also activate your theme. If you use a child theme, activate the parent theme first.
This will help determine whether it's a compatibility issue or not (and if it is, which plugin or theme causes the issue).

Please let me know about the results of your tests.

If the issue still occurs with the minimal environment mentioned above, I would like to ask you for credentials to your website and FTP. It will help me debug the issue and find the solution. You will find the fields for WordPress and FTP access below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. Your next reply will be private.

August 23, 2017 at 2:19 pm #1349237

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

The setting I mentioned will clear the cart each time you switch the language after adding something to the cart. However, the user will be informed about it before it happens and will be able to decide if they want to switch the language or keep the cart.

Thank you for the credentials. I'll check your website, see if there is something more that should be set differently and get back to you.

August 23, 2017 at 2:21 pm #1349239

Joanna

Hello again @kamalpreets,

I tried to log into your site but I got the message that the password is incorrect. Please double check if you shared the correct password. I'm setting the next reply to be private in case you need to share a new password.

August 23, 2017 at 5:05 pm #1349391

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

Thank you for the new credentials. I was able to log into your site now. I'll check the site and get back to you.

August 23, 2017 at 5:22 pm #1349405

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

I noticed that you don't have the allow_url_fopen extension active on your server. This may also be the cause of your issues with WPML Translation Management.

I was able to replicate the issue with old Cart and Multi-currency settings. When I switched them back to "Prompt for a confirmation and reset the cart", I couldn't replicate the issue anymore.
It's possible that this setting will prevent the issue in the future.

Please contact your hosting provider and ask them to set allow_url_fopen=1.

In the meantime, I'll try to replicate the issue with your new settings. Please also let me know immediately if you or any of your clients experience the issue again. If so, please ask the client what exactly did they want to purchase so we can follow their steps to replicate the issue.

August 23, 2017 at 6:37 pm #1349446

kamalpreetS

Hi Joanna,

I've asked and confirmed that my hosting provider has set allow_url_fopen=1.

On the other hand, I've let my client know to let me know ASAP if anyone has cart issues. Some clients have had the issue some haven't. But now that you said the setting change should fix it then we'll keep an eye out incase anyone has it at all.

Thank you for your continued support.

August 23, 2017 at 6:39 pm #1349449

kamalpreetS

Hi there,

In addition to my last email. I don't like the switching language pop-up box. Can I just hide this? See attached. Why would someone switch to Global when we only have two sites (Canada or USA). Global is just the homepage at homeworkhelpglobal.com and nothing else.

Please advise - very confused.

August 24, 2017 at 5:34 pm #1350399

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

I agree with you that it would be hard to explain why someone may want to switch from Canada/USA to Global during the purchase process. However, since it may happen, we need to inform clients that their cart will be cleared when they switch the language. If we don't do that, it will end in clients reporting the cart being emptied and this is what we want to avoid.

However, if the client doesn't change the language, they won't ever see this pop-up. If they see it, they will know what's happening.

The only thing we may be worried about will be the case when the pop-up doesn't appear but the cart will be emptied. Then, we'll need to investigate the issue further because this is not how it should work. If such a situation happens, please let us know immediately.

August 25, 2017 at 2:12 am #1350573

kamalpreetS

Hi Joanna,

The odd thing is that I didn't even try switching my language and the pop-up came. Clearly there's an issue with the plugin because when I logged in and tried checking out the pop-up box came up and that wasn't because I changed the language. I did nothing and it still popped up. Can we hide this box? Why's this happening? Really not happy about this.

August 29, 2017 at 3:08 am #1352895

kamalpreetS

Hi Joanna,

I still haven't heard back? Any way we can resolve that.

August 29, 2017 at 10:19 am #1353189

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

I'm sorry you had to wait so long for the answer. If you didn't change the language and the box appeared, there's something wrong there for sure. It seems that for some reason WPML "thinks" that the language has been changed.

Could you please write the steps that you followed, e.g. which exactly option did you choose, etc., so I can replicate the issue?

August 29, 2017 at 6:23 pm #1353711

kamalpreetS

Hi @joanna,

It just happened normally as I logged into the website and visited the homepage. Why's this happen? It doesn't happen all the time only sometimes. There has to be something wrong. Can we just hide the box completely?

August 31, 2017 at 9:58 am #1354997

Joanna

Hello @kamalpreets,

If the box is hidden, we'll go back to the original issue when the cart is being emptied with no warning. Of course, you can hide the box by disabling the "Prompt for a confirmation and reset the cart" option but as I mentioned, the issue with the cart being emptied with no warning will be back.

I double checked the site and I noticed that the box appears when you had something saved in the cart during your previous visit, then you open the site using the main domain and choose the language. In this case, you really change the language from Global to Canada or USA. This happens because the cart is being saved between sessions and it's being saved in the Global language. Since you don't have the Global option on the intro page, you force the user to switch the language.

The question is if you really need the Global language. Do you use it? If not, you may want to consider using the "Use directory for default language" option (WPML->Languages->Language URL format->Different languages in directories). In this case, both Canada and USA will have the same URLs as they have now and the intro page should be set as your root page.
However, in this case, you'll need to change the default language to Canada or USA. If you have your original content in Global, you can still leave it as one of your secondary languages but hide it for users in WPML->Languages->Hide languages.
You may read more about the "Use directory for default language" option at https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/

You may also want to consider not saving the cart between sessions. Then, the user shouldn't see the box when coming back to the site. However, I think that this is a worse option.

September 1, 2017 at 7:24 pm #1356356

kamalpreetS

Hi @joanna,

I wanted to give you context to the setup. So I have 3 languages: Global, Canada and United States.

For Global, there's only one page which is the homepage (that shows the language selector on the homepage).

From here, I see why the issues coming like you mentioned because they're switching from Global to Canada or United States. How can I just have this landing page work then? If someone ever visited homeworkhelpglobal.com what would show up if I didn't have the Global language?

I don't mind making Canada the default language but then the URL's would all be "/ca" by default and then the root folder would just be the landing page I assume?

What's the cleanest way? I definitely want sessions to be saved because that's part of the reason why sometimes carts get empty, etc. which I found through WordPress support forums.

Thank you!

Baljot