This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices.

Last updated by jernejO 7 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Diego Pereira.

Author Posts
September 15, 2018 at 9:20 am #2737497

jouniK

WPML modules cannot be updated via WP-CLI, and this is troublesome to site admins, who manage many installations.

For instance, right now the WP Dashboard reports the following..:

WPML Multilingual CMS
You have version 4.0.6 installed. Update to 4.0.7.

...while WP-CLI lists..:

| name                                        | status   | update    | version    |
| sitepress-multilingual-cms                  | active   | none      | 4.0.6      |

This is not a complete blackout however as once in a blue moon WPML does indeed co-operate with WP-CLI, but this is rare and I don't know the conditions under which things work fine. It may have something to do with the very first run after WPML module updates become available and all subsequent runs fail, but I'm not sure.

Needless to say but let's say it anyway: WP-CLI works reliably on this matter with other plugins and it really does feel like the problem in fact is in WPML.

The same behaviour is also seen in all of my current installations with WPML and therefore is unlikely caused by a theme.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

September 17, 2018 at 6:59 pm #2742334

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello @jounik, welcome to the WPML support Forum!

We had some issues with the servers this weekend that have already been resolved. Could you please try again to check if the problem persists?

If so, just let me know and I will check with our developers.

All the best,
Diego

September 17, 2018 at 8:04 pm #2742442

jouniK

This has nothing to do with your servers this past weekend. It is always an issue.

Right now, two consecutive calls show the following inconsistencies:

1) $ wp plugin list

| wpml-media-translation                      | active   | available | 2.3.6      |
| sitepress-multilingual-cms                  | active   | available | 4.0.6      |
| wpml-string-translation                     | active   | available | 2.8.6      |
| wpml-translation-management                 | active   | available | 2.6.6      |

2) $ wp plugin list

| wpml-media-translation                      | active   | none      | 2.3.6      |
| sitepress-multilingual-cms                  | active   | none      | 4.0.6      |
| wpml-string-translation                     | active   | none      | 2.8.6      |
| wpml-translation-management                 | active   | none      | 2.6.6      |

Please note the need for horizontal scrolling. You probably don't otherwise see the difference as the text block on this page is not wide enough.

Update calls do not work either:

$ wp plugin update sitepress-multilingual-cms
Success: Plugin already updated.

That make sense because WPML modules do not report that updates would be available. Yet on the dashboard: You have version 4.0.6 installed. Update to 4.0.7.

I'll repeat my earlier comment that the first run sometimes (but not always) returns valid results. Once every few months I might even be able to update one of the many WPML modules using WP-CLI. But >95% of times it won't work, and this really gets on the nerves. I've seen site admins choosing Polylang over WPML because of this.

Any real help would be highly appreciated.

September 18, 2018 at 4:28 pm #2745917

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi there,

I'm checking the compatibility status of WP-CLI with our developers. I'll send you feedback soon.

In the mean time, could you please send us the steps/commands you used to reproduce the issue? They will probably ask for it to do some tests.

Kind regards,
Diego

September 18, 2018 at 5:24 pm #2746165

jouniK

The problem occurs with all my WP installations that have WPML modules. Just run the previously mentioned commands. I'm using currently WP-CLI version 2.0.1 (latest stable), but I had the same trouble with WPML modules using WP-CLI 1.x versions as well.

I'm more than happy to send any further information if it helps you resolve the trouble.

September 19, 2018 at 12:38 pm #2748804

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Thanks, I escalated this ticket to our 2nd tier support. They will run more tests and forward it to our developers if needed.

Kind regards,
Diego

October 1, 2018 at 12:27 pm #2778109

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

The issue has been forwarded to our developers.

Kind regards,
Diego

October 31, 2018 at 7:36 pm #2867310

jouniK

1 month since last update. Any news, please?

November 7, 2018 at 8:14 am #2884033

Lydie

Hi there,
I got the exact same problem. Any progress on a resolution?
Kr,
Lydie

December 21, 2018 at 8:07 am #3023846

florianT-15

Same problem here ith the latest update to 4.1.3 (from 4.1.2).

Any Updates?

January 25, 2019 at 10:59 am #3128581

thomasK-78

Hi,

any news on getting wpml updated via wp-cli?

January 25, 2019 at 11:26 am #3128741

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Hi there,

I got a update. The issue is: for now the plugin is never detected to have a new version, unless you check the admin interface before.

We already have fixed this. The fix will be released on WPML 4.2

Kind regards,
Diego

January 25, 2019 at 2:36 pm #3129414

jouniK

Thanks for your update, Diego.

Please note that a subsequent release will be needed for verifying the fix coming in WPML 4.2 as this always concerns updating WPML modules. I'll confirm things from my end once 4.2.1 (or 4.3) and related WPML modules are out.

February 18, 2019 at 9:27 am #3210723

jouniK

Verified OK with WPML 4.2.1.

March 24, 2019 at 5:53 pm #3448903

Diego Pereira
Supporter

Ticket update: This issue has already been resolved in newer versions of WPML. If you experience the same issue, please can download the latest versions here: https://wpml.org/account/downloads/