This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by neilT-4 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 2:22 pm

neilT-4

I am trying to: WPML with different domains per language

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: When I going to the English version I want to go to brabanderalm.com and see the English language

Instead, I got: When I set the DocumentRoot / Servername / ServerAlias I get a Internal server error 500 in my screen. That's not what I want 😉

September 17, 2019 at 8:10 am #4586255

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

Before i access your site i would like to confirm you followed this procedure: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

In there you'll find a part where it says to create an alias of your domain. did you do this already?

I see that you get a 403 error when accessing brabanderalm.com, for example, which means that something in your server is blocking the permission to access it.

This seems to be a server related issue more than a configuration one (but i coudl be wrong) so i suggest you first ask your hosting company if they can check why it is throwing a 403 error (since they can look at your settings) and then, when that is sorted you just need to do the following in order to have the domain working for your site:

1) Have the domain point to the same server of the original domain (i see this has already been done)

2) Create an alias in the .com domain to point to the .nl domain (no redirections setup or anything is needed, just set it up as an alias. if you don't know how, you can ask your hosting support about this)

3) You know when the alias has been setup correctly because when you type the .com domain you'll be autoamtically redirected to the .nl domain (you might have to wait for the DNS to spread and this could take from only a few minutes to 48h)

4) Then you can go to WPML > Talen > Taal URL-formaat and validate the domains.

There is another possible cause for this and that's the "/nl" subdirectory the site is in, but if you follow the instructions i wrote above, you shouldn't have to worry about that (although i'll ask our dvelopers about this, just in case).

Please let me know if you make it to at least step 3.

September 19, 2019 at 10:12 am #4603415

neilT-4

Hi Alejandro,

Unfortunately is the provider not our own but the partner of our client. So we don't have full controll.

They have point the domains to the same ip, see also the DNS screenshots. However, the domains are still not redirecting to .nl. Could you please advice me what to do best?

Furthermore, .nl is the main domain and .at and .com are set as Sub-Server.

Attached: screenshots from DNS en FTP-server.

September 19, 2019 at 12:31 pm #4604691

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Ok, so first of all, delete the .at and .com folders because that might be what's causing the permission errors.

you are pointing the domain to the same server which is perfect and with that we can cross step 1 from our list.

Now, please ask the partner of your client to delete all the references to those subserver folders and instead create an alias of the .nl domain and its folder (which means that the domains .at and .com will point to .nl WITHOUT any redirection, it will just point to the same subserver folder of the .nl domain).

I would like to stress a lot that you do not set any redirection to the .nl domain, instead create an alias to that domain.

After that, it should start redirecting to the .nl domain whenever you type the .at or .com domain.

Regards.

September 26, 2019 at 9:30 am #4645095

neilT-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!