This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
September 7, 2019 at 12:27 pm #4529249

joeA-7

Tell us what you are trying to do?
trying to translate old posts - I have around 7000 old posts in english that i need to import translation to. However, it is impossible to remember which parent import corresponds to which data as they are hundreds and hundreds of parent imports ( the import is automated and runs daily for more than 3 years now )

Is there any documentation that you are following?
the documentation provided is not relavant

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link

September 9, 2019 at 7:45 am #4534127

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

thanks for contacting us.

It's not possible to import only translation for already existing content. This is because, as you can see in our WPML All Import documentation (https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/), you need to add a "unique identifier" column that will tell WPML to which content connect its proper translation.

Since the unique identifier must be a new column, you can't just import the translation because they would never be linked.

What I can suggest is:
- export all the content you already have on the site
- add the "unique idenfier" column
- reimport the content (as an update)
- import the translation after adding the "unique identifier" column as well

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.