This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
September 16, 2019 at 6:24 pm #4583131

andrewM-45

I am trying to: I need to localize xlif files generated by WPML. I have the segmentation problem communicated by many on WPML support requests. That is, in my CAT tool of choice, SDL Trados, the content from the CDATA sections in the Xlif files is not getting properly segmented. I need the segmentation/merge tool that I have seen discussed in these forums, but don't know where to download it. Please help me with a download link. Thank you, Andrew Martin

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

September 17, 2019 at 9:10 am #4586873

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

I am checking about the segmentation/merge tool with our team now. In the past, it was available in hidden link.

To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 17, 2019 at 12:56 pm #4588611

andrewM-45

Hi Bigul,

As you know I guess, the link you gave me does not work. I have provided the debug information below. Hope you can help me with this soon.

Thanks,
Andrew

September 18, 2019 at 12:48 pm #4596843

andrewM-45

Hi Bigul,

I tried hidden link again just now and it looks like it segmented a sample file in the way we need it segmented.

The challenges are that it is a browser based app that requires 1 file upload at a time for segmentation or merge purposes. We will be processing hundreds of files that will go into 11 target languages. So the number of clicks to get the xlif files segmented properly and then get them merged properly for upload grows exponentially with this number of languages.

Is there an option that would allow upload of multiple files to be segmented? And then an option to load many files back for merging after translation?

For production purposes this seems necessary to me.

Thanks,
Andrew

September 18, 2019 at 1:02 pm #4596985

andrewM-45

Another question just occurred to me.

Could the segmenter script be run by our webmaster at the time of downloading a translatable file, which he will distribute to our translation team?

Then, could the merge script be run when he uploads the translated pages?

Thanks for your support.
Andrew

September 18, 2019 at 1:52 pm #4597257

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the feedback. I shared it with our second-tier team and waiting for their expert opinion now. Please wait.

Also please note, hidden link is created for the internal purpose. Mainly for testing the Translation Services integrations.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 19, 2019 at 2:48 am #4600745

andrewM-45

Ok. I understand, but I would like to stress that as the Xlif files are currently delivered for translation, without the help of a tool like this to segment them properly they are very hard (almost useless) to process in a CAT tool as expected by any mature translation team. In our team we have approximately 30 in-house linguists, another 30 to 50 external linguists and 4 PMs. We are using the WPML tool given our expectation that we can get files as we need them to localize our org website and microsites. We feel it is imperative to have the use of this tool or managing our multilingual sites with WordPress and WPML becomes unnecessarily challenging. I will wait for your response.
Thanks, Andrew

September 19, 2019 at 10:40 pm #4608369

andrewM-45

Hi Bigul, Any feedback on this? Thanks, Andrew

September 20, 2019 at 1:08 pm #4612423

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

For your kind updates, there are limitations to achieve these requirements with WPML now. We are discussing the issue with our developers and will get back to you as early as possible. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 20, 2019 at 3:36 pm #4613383

andrewM-45

Thanks Bigul.

I appreciate that, and will wait for your response. In your discussions, could you please make sure the following 2 options are considered:
1. An alternative to have an app installed on our webmaster's desktop so he can batch segment a group of xlif files downloaded from our WordPress site, using the WPML integration. And to batch merge upon return from translation. This is a minimum necessary requirement for us to be able to justify using WordPress with WPML for our multilingual site.
2. An alternative (something like a checkbox option) to segment the xlifs, at the time of download using WPML, and to merge at the time of uploading translated xlifs. This would be nice in the future and much more efficient, but it is not considered an immediate requirement.

Thanks,
Andrew

September 23, 2019 at 7:28 am #4621143

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the updates. Normally WPML Translation Proxy is already equipped to segment XLIFF files prior to sending them to their destination(LSP). This is a setting that we can easily enable for each LSP that asks for it.

So we need to know is the specific Translation Service is in question this case? Please let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 23, 2019 at 3:27 pm #4625391

andrewM-45

Hi Bigul,

My company, Lions Clubs International, does the translation itself. We have 30 in house linguists, PMs and a web team. What we need is to be able to download the xlif files using WPML.

When we download them, we will do the translation in house, so we are the LSP. We are localizing our hidden link site now, and the poorly formatted Xlif files are causing us a major loss of time, since they do not segment properly for translators. Because that is so bad we are currently copying and pasting to a Word file, translating in Word and then uploading the translated content by copying and pasting target language.

How do we proceed?

Thank you,
Andrew Martin

September 23, 2019 at 5:13 pm #4625845

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the details. I have shared it with our team and waiting for the feedback now. We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 24, 2019 at 12:56 pm #4631733

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Andrew,

We have a Translation Service integration program. It will save all the manual work you are currently doing in order to work with the original WPML XLIFF files. Please visit the following documnetation for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/

https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/join-wpml-integration-program/

If you would like to integrate, please fill the integration request form at the bottom of this page https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/join-wpml-integration-program/. Our translation team will contact you as soon as possible.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

September 24, 2019 at 1:26 pm #4631935

andrewM-45

Bigul,

This sounds great. But LCI is a mid-sized multinational NGO. We have a language department, but we do not want to appear as an LSP vendor on the site. We need to join the integration program, but have no intention of providing services other than those we provide to our In House customers. Is that possible still?

Thanks, Andrew