This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jannekeW 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
March 29, 2018 at 12:24 pm #1560023

jannekeW

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I'm improving my website with the premium Yoast plugin and use 2 languages on my website. With the Dutch language I have no issues and the Yoast Plugin is working fine. When I change the url, I also get a notice and an automatic redirect. With the German site is is different. I don't get a notice or automatic redirect. In order te get the notice and automatic redirect, Yoast advised me to use the native WordPress editor.

I have set the native WordPress editor, but when I go from Woocommerce Multilingual to any German product I get the same layout as with WPML for the German products.....

When I go the products (normal in Dutch) and click then the German vlag, I get the warning "The recommended way to translate WooCommerce products is to use the WooWooCommerce Multilingual Product Translation page. Please use this page only to translate elements that are not available in the WooCommerce Multilingual product translation table."

Yoast says I could use this in order for the Yoast plugin also to work in German. Can I dismiss this warning and work safely in this? They are unsure about what the implications of using the WordPress editor with my translated products would be. They recommend I contact your support.

They also say, in order for their plugin to work in German, I should set the default language into German. But what consequences would that have for my Dutch texts and products?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

March 31, 2018 at 2:00 am #1561307

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting us. Please, my sincere apologies for the delay in answering.

>>> Yoast says I could use this in order for the Yoast plugin also to work in German. Can I dismiss this warning and work safely in this?

The WPML recommends using the Translation Editor to make it easier for you to translate content from your site. You can, however, use the native WordPress interface with no problems.

>>> They also say, in order for their plugin to work in German, I should set the default language into German. But what consequences would that have for my Dutch texts and products?

Sorry, but I did not understand. Both languages should work correctly. You should change the default language only if this makes sense to you.

If you want the WordPress dashboard to be in German, you can click on the Users > Your Profile and in the "Language" option, select the desired language.

If you change the default language of your site, German will be the default language and Dutch will be the secondary language. Content should not be lost. It is recommended, however, to always make a backup copy.

Thank you.

March 31, 2018 at 9:14 am #1561525

jannekeW

Hi Bruno, thanks for your reply.

>>> They also say, in order for their plugin to work in German, I should set the default language into German. But what consequences would that have for my Dutch texts and products?

My default language is Dutch, but in order for Yoast to work properly in German also, I should change that into German, because of the special letters like ß and ä. When the default language is Dutch, the Yoast plugin doesn't recognize this special characters.... But still you would have a change in the url, because in an url there are no characters like that, wright?

Would this change in default language have any impact on my Dutch products?

April 3, 2018 at 12:36 am #1562748

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

Thank you. Changing the default language of the site should not cause content loss, but the URL of your site will change: dutch site.com will be site.com/nl/. The site in German, site.com/de/ will be site.com/.

I recommend you if you change the default language that you make the full backup to test.

Also, the language to edit the current products will be Dutch. That is, to access the products and edit them you must access the products in Dutch. German will continue to be the translation language for the products in which you currently translated into German.

Thank you.

April 3, 2018 at 7:36 am #1562936

jannekeW

Hello Bruno! Thank you for your surprising answer! So it is not advisable to set the default language to German. I already had such a gut feeling! I will take your advice to Yoast so they won't advice such things.... Yoast will have to look for another way for their SEO in multiple languages...