This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Patrick Becker 5 days, 16 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
October 5, 2019 at 5:14 pm #4700845

Patrick Becker

I am using Yoast SEO and am facing issues with string translation.

I have setup default meta descriptions and meta titles for a post type in French (which is my website default language).
At first they appear properly under string translations, but once I translate them to English and German (which are the other languages of my website) :
- The string to be translated appears in English (or German depending on my tests)
- The string that appears is not the one entered in Yoast SEO settings but the saved translation from string translations

So currently I see in WPML :
- The string to translate is in English (although the text entered in Yoast SEO is in French)
- I set it to English and translated German and French

On the website I see :
- On English pages the German string
- On French pages the French string
- On German pages the German string

October 7, 2019 at 7:18 am #4704937

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Patrick,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I checked your website plugins list and I could see that you're using everything that's needed in order to have this work fine. Now, in order to have a closer look at this one and see what's going on, is there any chance that you could give me access to the dashboard area, please?

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

October 8, 2019 at 11:03 am #4714539

Radu
Supporter

Hey Patrick,

I checked some post types like releases or city guides but I couldn't find anything set for the meta title and description. Is there any chance that you could send me a link to an element where I can see this issue, please? I just want to make sure that I'm looking at the right element to see the issue you described.

Thanks,
Radu

October 8, 2019 at 11:52 am #4714811

Patrick Becker

Hi Radu,
Sorry I wasn't clear on my explanation before, let me try again differently with more details.

The Yoast SEO plugin allows to setup default meta data, which will be used as a fallback for posts if there are no specific meta set for them. (I have no meta data on most of my posts)

If you go to Yoast SEO > Réglages SEO > Type de publication you can set default meta titles and description. I did this for the Release post type (takes a while to load by the way, don't know why)

Then I go to WPML String translation panel and select admin_texts_wpseo_titles as a domain.
In this domain most of the detected strings are in French, the same language they are entered in Yoast SEO's plugin panel.
But, some of them are in English and one in German. The displayed string is a translation I did before when it was working properly and doesn't match the value in Yoast SEO's settings, for example:

• [wpseo_titles]title-release
  • [wpseo_titles]metadesc-release

I tried to change the language and translate them as is, ignoring the mismatch, but in the front end the right default values are not displayed.
For example this url : hidden link
Has in :

• French : the French values
  • German : the German values
  • English : the English values

By the way this might change until you check it, the translations change I don't know when.

By the way as well, the wp_icl_string_pages entries jumped from 700+ up to 979139 as we speak.

Thank you for your help,
Patrick

October 9, 2019 at 8:27 am #4720687

Radu
Supporter

Hey Patrick,

Thank you for giving me a few more details about this issue. I was aware of this option for changing the title and meta title (from Yoast SEO), but I had some issues finding it.

I checked the value in the database and the right value is registered so something is wrong in WPML → String Translation section. But first, can you go to the meta description of the release post type, edit it, and tell me if the changes are saving, please? I tried to simply delete the space before the last exclamation sign but once I save the change and the page reloads, the change is reverted. I'm thinking that this might have an impact on the String Translation issue too.

Also, could you install the Translation Management and Media translations plugins too, please? According to the documentation from here https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-wordpress-seo-with-wpml/, these two plugins are required too for using Yoast SEO with WPML.

Thanks,
Radu

October 9, 2019 at 1:41 pm #4723431

Patrick Becker

I cleared Yoast SEO, and a bunch of settings from WPML until I fixed it on my own.
Seems to work now.

wp_icl_string_pages is still growing at a extremely fast pace, I'll open another ticket for this.