This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The secondary language URL for the images is incorrect.

Solution: The client reported that he had changed the URL for the images and so the problem was happening.

According to him, the problem was solved using the UPLOADS constant inside the wp-config.php file.

You can see more details at the link below.

Relevant Documentation: https://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Moving_uploads_folder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by federicoD-16 2 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
February 2, 2017 at 10:18 am #1197165

byte

Images dont appear in the media library and in the front end.
The domain gets added in front of the image path but without the https://
Therefore the images cant be loaded. We made a workaround for the frontend, but its hard to tell what to do in the backend

Url for images like it should be
/media/functionality-urspring-home-1-e1486029407187.jpg

Url like it is in the english version of the page
=> hidden link

We don't need different descriptions etc. so there is no need for the media-translation-plugin. We just need the images from the library as they are.
Any ideas?

February 2, 2017 at 10:21 am #1197177

byte

Url like it is in the english version of the page
=> hidden link

There was some kind of autocorrect with the english url. It appears to be without the https://

February 2, 2017 at 7:17 pm #1197945

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us.

Is this happening when you add a new image or old images?

If this is happening in newly uploaded images, please as a test, could you disable all non-WPML plugins, upload the image again and see if the problem persists?

Thank you.

February 7, 2017 at 4:56 pm #1202107

byte

Hi Bruno,

thank you for your help. The problem still persists.
We disabled all other plugins and uploaded a new image, still the same problem.
The URL is always wrong on the english page
We copied the whole project to our local server and even used the 2017 standard theme.
Still all images (also new uploads) have the wrong url.

February 7, 2017 at 5:08 pm #1202119

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hi,

I need to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site - preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible - in order to be of better help.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

*** Please, can I install the Duplicator plugin ( https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/ ) to make a copy of your site and install it on my test environment? This will help me debug the problem.

*** Note: Please make a full backup of your site.

Privacy and Security when Providing Debug Information for Support: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Thank you.

February 7, 2017 at 5:12 pm #1202128

byte

I think we found the problem.
we used an alternative media url in the /wp-admin/options.php
this seems not to work in the new version of wpml. It worked till decembre.
It now works with the defined variable:
define('UPLOADS', '/media');
Maybe this helps someone else

July 17, 2019 at 9:41 pm #4233613

federicoD-16

Dear Support.

I have a similiar issue but I have not changed the URL of the uploads folder as I am using the standard option with file name (/picture1.jpg). I checked for both languages and the permalink settings are the same.

Some details:

DE and EN languages are on different domains. Site.de and site.com. Both domains point to the same wp installation. I have set this up accordingly in the WPML settings, however, I get the "invalid" message. I am not very sure what to start with that minimal message which does not provide any info.

I am using the latest version of everything and only using one further plugin (table press).

When I copy the media library it adds a date parameter on the files.

site.de/wp-content/uploads/picture1.jpg gets translated into site.com/wp-content/uploads//2019/06/picture1.jpg. The picture of the secondary language does not show in the frontend.

The problem also happens when I upload a new media file into the library to the second language. When I upload a file to the first language it appears correctly in the first one but does not translate correctly.

I just re-installed WPML after finishing the original language site as WPML was massively slowing down the backend and decreasing work efficiency.