Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices.

Last updated by krystynaW 8 years, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Adriano.

Author Posts
May 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm #127218

Oytun

Hello,

I have installed WPML and required components yesterday. So, all of them are very up to date.

I have exported XLIFF files (sent email notifications). However, there is an issue with XLIFF files. They wrap the content of a post/page in a single <trans-unit> tag, which is not a very smart way in translation files.

Do you have any plans to provide a real string-based XLIFF output?

May 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm #127221

Oytun

You can see the latest specification for XLIFF here:
hidden link

Go to the "2.5.1. Adding Elements" section which has an example of multiple trans-units.

May 14, 2013 at 5:29 pm #127273

Adriano

Dear Oytun,

I will check it with other developers and I will back soon.

May 17, 2013 at 12:14 pm #128202

Adriano

Dear Oytun,

I've passed your information to our developers. We will consider this suggestion in the next release.

Many thanks.

May 19, 2013 at 2:36 am #128466

Amir
Supporter

The 'content' field in WordPress is saved as one big DB field. Breaking it up by paragraphs might be problematic for some sites.

What sort partition to different fields would you propose?

May 19, 2013 at 4:52 pm #128526

Oytun

It doesnt matter how the DB saves. Translation processes are not running like that. Most CAT systems parse and proceed with "strings".

A translator translates a string, proofreader approves the string etc... Especially in crowd translation, things are getting even different. More than one person can work on a single content (post content, in our context) but on different strings.

You can just split the content by "." (full point) and have a group of single strings for a single content.

This is the normal way for Xliff specification, anyway. And we want to follow the specifications for a cross-cross-cross-everything digital life 🙂

* String = probably sentences, not even paragraphs.

* I get your point. There could be compability issues with broken/invalid HTML code, thinking many WordPress users are not hardcore coders and many page contents may have JavaScript code... For this, you may dig "2.5.2. Adding Attributes" title on hidden link

* There are few samples here: hidden link

* Homepage for Xliff: hidden link

* I think I am getting better and better on reporting and providing resources 😀

May 19, 2013 at 4:56 pm #128527

Oytun

And the HTML profile for Xliff: hidden link

The list goes on...

May 22, 2013 at 11:48 pm #129619

Amir
Supporter

Thanks for the inputs. I guess we should allow some options in WPML for how to split the content into translation units. Previously, we always feared that automated segmentation may lead to broken HTML (which it will), but if you want to take full responsibility over this process, we will support it.

We'll add an option to split content into translation units according to HTML block and paragraph elements. This would be user-configurable in the XLIFF module.

Please note that it's not an immediate feature. We'll add it to our features queue and it will get implemented eventually, but we cannot include it in WPML 2.9, which we are working on now.

May 24, 2013 at 11:11 am #130156

Oytun

Thank you for your support.

It was an idea that I thought should be an option for advanced developers or for translation professionals.

Have a nice day and enjoy your work,

January 23, 2019 at 1:54 pm #3120868

krystynaW

How to split the content into translation units? Is this feature already implemented?