This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 8 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
January 31, 2019 at 12:54 pm #3147931

Ion Rementeria Totorika

Tell us what you are trying to do?

We are receiving XLIFF files from one of our customers that contain odd content, meaning that we are receiving:

1.- Translated content in the target field of the XLIFF file
2.- English content in both the source and the target fields of the XLIFF file, but they are different.

We need to understand how the XLIFF files are generated by WPML, and which are the options that need to be selected in WPML configuration to control this.

Our initial questions are:
1.- Why are we getting the translated content in the target field?
If this is because we have already delivered the translations, can WPML be configured so only the source sentences that have changed (and therefore require translation) are included in the XLIFF file, and not the ones with translations already?
2.- Why are source content and different source content included in the source and target of the XLIFF file?

Any additional information you can provide on how to configure what gets included in the XLIFF file will be highly appreciated.
We need to understand how to manage the translation of the updated content.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

We have searched the WPML documentation and the forum but only found references to selecting the type of XLIFF that WPML can generate.

Is there a similar example that we can see?
We don't have any other.

What is the link to your site?
It is a client site that is not public

February 1, 2019 at 8:04 am #3150658

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

We need more information to track the problem. To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/. So I can check about it with our developers.

Hope you are using XLIFF 1.2 format for generating the XLIFF file.

Maybe you are facing this issue because of compatibility conflicts. So to make sure if possible, please do the following steps.

a) Backup your site first
b) Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like 2017
c) Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
d) If the issue is gone, activate the plugin one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 1, 2019 at 10:29 am #3151220

Ion Rementeria Totorika

Hi Bigul

unfortunately I can not get debug information, but I confirm XLIFF 1.2 is selected.

Can you still provide some guidance on the XLIFF generation process:

1.- Why are we getting the translated content in the target field?
If this is because we have already delivered the translations, can WPML be configured so only the source sentences that have changed (and therefore require translation) are included in the XLIFF file, and not the ones with translations already?
Can this be avoided so we always receive only the new/updated content?
2.- Why are source content and different source content included in the source and target of the XLIFF file?

Thank you
Ion

February 1, 2019 at 6:21 pm #3152911

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ion,

Thank you for the updates. Hope you are using the latest version of WPML(4.1.4) now.

We don't have any known issues with XLIFF like this. So it requires further checking. Maybe you are having these issues because of compatibility conflicts.

Therefore I have a couple of requests to track the issue. Please share me the following details.

a) Please let me know the exact steps to replicate the issue on your site

b) Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

hidden link

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 8, 2019 at 3:12 pm #3175899

Ion Rementeria Totorika

Hi Bigul,

The WPML version is 4.1.3, which is fairly close to the last version available.
Will it cause any issues to use this version?
We also got confirmed that the theme that is used has not had any changes.

The steps to replicate are very simple: select the page to translate, add it to the translation basket, and send it. There are many pages that have already been translated with WPML and are been sent to translation again because they are marked as “Needs update”.
We are seen that the XLIFF we are receiving has the old source string in the target of the XLIFF received, while the updated source is included in the source of the XLIFF.

Thank you
Ion

February 8, 2019 at 6:27 pm #3176585

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ion,

Thank you for the feedback. But I am not able to reproduce the issue in my test installations exactly.

We always recommend using the latest version of the plugin because of compatibility, security... concerns. We have released a new version of WPML(4.2) two days ago. It has some major improvements in Translation Management. Please upgrade to the latest version after a full site backup and make sure the issue is existing or not.

If you are still having the issue, please share the debug information with us. Check the following documentation for more details.

http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

February 12, 2019 at 1:45 pm #3188866

Ion Rementeria Totorika

Hi Bigul,

the latest 4.2 is not yet in place but see how the structure and the content of the XLIFFs WPML is generating looks like (this is an extract of a larger XLIFF):

<header>
<phase-group>
<phase phase-name="shortcodes" process-name="Shortcodes identification">
<note>wp_caption,caption,gallery,playlist,audio,video,embed,acf,fl_builder_insert_layout,.......</note>
</phase>
</phase-group>
<reference>
<external-file href="hidden link"/>
</reference>
</header>
<body>
<trans-unit resname="title" restype="string" datatype="html" id="title">
<source><![CDATA[ABC II - tab - FAQs]]></source>
<target><![CDATA[ABC II]]></target>
</trans-unit>
<trans-unit resname="package-string-526-409010" restype="string" datatype="html" id="package-string-526-409010">
<source><![CDATA[SOURCE ENGLISH TEXT]]></source>
<target state="needs-review-translation" state-qualifier="tm-suggestion"><![CDATA[TRANSLATED GERMAN TEXT]]></target>
</trans-unit>

<trans-unit resname="package-string-526-1236841" restype="string" datatype="html" id="package-string-526-1236841">
<target><![CDATA[SOURCE ENGLISH TEXT]]></target>
</trans-unit>
<trans-unit resname="media_66609_title" restype="string" datatype="html" id="media_66609_title">
<target><![CDATA[TRANSLATED GERMAN TEXT]]></target>
</trans-unit>

</body>
</file>
</xliff>

Note that we are receiving translation units:
1.- with English content in the source, and a different English in the target ( "ABC II - tab - FAQs")
2.- with English content in the source, and German translated content in the target, with tags:
state="needs-review-translation" state-qualifier="tm-suggestion"
3.- with the same English content in both the source and the target
4.- with English content in the source, and German translated content in the target, with no "state" or "state-qualifier" tabs

Should we be receiving such XLIFFs, with mixed source-source, source-translation, source-differentsource translation units?
Can you explain what "tm-suggestion" refers to?

Thank you
Ion

February 13, 2019 at 1:21 pm #3194142

Bigul
Supporter

Hi Ion,

Thank you for the updates. I have checked about this with our team and got advice to try with the latest version. It looks like compatibility conflict. The latest version has improvements in translation management. So please upgrade to the latest version of WPML(4.2.1) after a full site backup. Then make sure is there any difference in the result.

Maybe you are facing this issue because of compatibility conflicts. So to make sure if possible, please do the following steps.

a) Backup your site first
b) Switch for a moment to a WordPress default theme like 2017
c) Deactivate all the plugins that are not related to WPML
d) If the issue is gone, activate the plugin one by one to see with which one there is an interaction issue

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] XLIFF generation process’ is closed to new replies.