If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by jamesS-34 3 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
July 12, 2019 at 7:33 pm #4201405

Andrea Wentzell

I am trying to: download and use XLIFF for translation

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link [this is one of the problem xliffs, but the problen can't actually be seen here. please see the supplied screen shot

I expected to see: Properly segmented text for translation

Instead, I got: one large mass of text that is unusable in translation tools

I have heard rumors on some forums that there is a tool (perhaps in beta) that WPML that fixes this known issue with XLIFFs. it's called the segmentation/merge app.

July 12, 2019 at 7:37 pm #4201429

Andrea Wentzell

Just to add that this appears to be a known WPML issue and is not specific to our installation, though we are very much affected by it.

July 12, 2019 at 10:21 pm #4201735

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Forum.

As far I can see from your screenshot I can see a valid XLIFF file. XLIFF is a format based on XML which is very similar to HTML.

More information about those files can be found here.
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-desktop-cat-tools/configuring-xliff-file-options/

Our beta tool can only help to fix syntax or structure issue in case you experience any problems when importing the file again to WordPress. It is not officially released yet.

Are you having problems with importing the file or are you simply having issues about translating the file?

If so, maybe this tool might be helpful for you. Please take note that this is a free tool and I have not tested it, but it should do the job.
hidden link

I hope this solves the issue.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 15, 2019 at 10:35 pm #4214761

Andrea Wentzell

Hi Andreas,
With all due respect, do you have any familiarity with how CAT tools work? This may be a "valid" XLIFF at a very superficial level, but it is not a useful XLIFF for translation. A useful XLIFF would be broken into segments for each sentence, header, or bullet point. This is one mass of text. It is very unwieldy for translators to use and cannot be used to populate translation memory. With this kind of "XLIFF," it would be more efficient to cut and paste the content of the web pages and use MS Word.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

July 16, 2019 at 6:22 pm #4223211

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Could you please trz the following tool:

hidden link

Take note that this is a demo app and not officially released. Anzhow, I hope it suits your needs. Otherwise please reach out to me again in order to provide access to your page for further esclation.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

July 17, 2019 at 4:10 pm #4232087

Andrea Wentzell

Andreas, thank you for sharing the tool and I will get back to you on server access

July 18, 2019 at 5:06 pm #4241377

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Please let me know if the demo tool solved the segment issue for the XLIFF files in use with your translation tool.

Otherwise, you can consider this ticket as solved.

Kind regards
Andreas

July 23, 2019 at 6:34 pm #4268631

Andrea Wentzell

Thank you for sharing this tool, Andreas.

We are testing it. So far, although there is some improvement, we still see segments that consist of multiple sentences and paragraphs. I'll post a more thorough assessment of our experience with it in a couple of days.

July 30, 2019 at 8:36 am #4305761

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+01:00)

Hello,
I'm taking over this ticket because Andreas is on vacation. i hope you don't mind.

Thanks for the answer and we would greatly appreciate your input on this since you clearly know a lot About CAT tools and it's our mission to make the XLIFF as usable as possible.

I talked to one of our developers and he told me that the main problem that we face is that it seems each CAT Tool has a different segmentation process and apparently the actual XLIFF is ifferent on different levels according to the CAT tools.

Our team actually created the tool Andreas gave you in order to use the XLIFF coming from other CAT Tools. it's a beta software that was initially meant for internal use only but we noticed that our clients actually make use of it because of issues like yours so we hope we can gather some good information that i can then pass to our developers to see what can be done.

Thanks in advance and i look forward to reading your insight!

August 6, 2019 at 4:57 pm #4349669

Andrea Wentzell

Hi Alejandro,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I wanted to clarify one aspect of usage that is not clear in the documentation. Once translation is complete using the segmented file (OTGS segmenter), does the resulting XLIFF need to be reprocessed using the merge tool, before it is uploaded back into the WPML instance where it originated?
Thanks

August 6, 2019 at 6:44 pm #4350065

Andrea Wentzell

Hi Alejandro,
I believe I have answered my own question. Segment first, then merge tool to get the XLIFF back in original form. 🙂 Has there been an update to the tool in the past few days? Files are looking much better than during our original test. We have a few more to test, but it's looking like the segment/merge tool will solve the problem. I am keeping this ticket open for a day or two longer before confirming.
Thanks

August 7, 2019 at 10:24 am #4353729

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+01:00)

Hello,
I'm taking over this ticket because Alejandro is now also on vacation. I hope you don't mind.

I can't see any version change on the segmentation tool, but I'm happy that looks like it solved your case. You can close this ticket anytime you are ready.

Best Marcel

August 9, 2019 at 7:20 pm #4372615

Andrea Wentzell

My issue is resolved now. Thanks to the WPML support team, Andreas, Alejandro, and Marcel for sharing the Segment/Merge tool. It was a great help. It will be very useful going forward. If we have any issues going forward, we'll open another ticket.

September 4, 2019 at 8:20 am #4509151

jamesS-34

Is it possible to get access to this tool?