Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 10, 2021 at 8:46 pm #8055943

jeroenM-9

The website is not showing canonicals the right way. If you look at hidden link and hidden link (same page, different language), the canonical is correct.

But if you look at hidden link and hidden link, the English version has a canonical to the Dutch website.

I've tested the following:
- Deactivate all plugins
- Use a default template: Twenty Twenty (I've added cases as Custom Post Type)
- Activate Yoast SEO Plugin (which sets canonicals)
- Activate WPML Plugin (which sets languages)

With above settings, the problem still persists. If you'd like to test this, i can send you a link to a test website.

Debugging info is from the testing website.

February 10, 2021 at 11:03 pm #8056455

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Canonical Tags can either be self-referencing (where a canonical tag point to a page's own URL) or can reference another page's URL to consolidate signals.

Documentation: hidden link

With Yoast you should be able to set your canonical within the page, if possible edit your page and review your settings for the canonical within the page

February 12, 2021 at 10:05 am #8069267

jeroenM-9

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the response!

Among the pages are also archive pages, for which I can't set a canonical (since it's an archive). So I can't edit the canonical's within the page.

I've sent a support request to Yoast also, but if you have any pointers, that'd be awesome!

February 12, 2021 at 8:57 pm #8073953

Bobby
Supporter

Hello,

I was not aware that it was a post archive page, please review the following errata and keep up to date with it as once the issue has been fixed it will be updated

https://wpml.org/errata/when-using-yoast-multilingual-on-a-site-with-post-type-archive-pages-the-canonical-and-ogurl-meta-tags-may-be-incorrect/

February 16, 2021 at 8:31 am #8094041

jeroenM-9

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the response. We'll follow the errata. Thanks for now!

Jeroen.

February 16, 2021 at 5:28 pm #8100225

Bobby
Supporter

[status change]